“Spacious and Wonderful Location”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I spent four nights at the hotel and truly enjoyed the location and the spacious room. The bathroom has inadequate lighting, but the shower was wonderful. I also thought the lighted closets were great because I used the mirrors in the closet instead of the bathroom. The turn down service was the best the first night and then fell off each night afterwards. I thought the desk staff and concierge were great - they gave me good advice on directions and whether or not to take a cab or metro. The location cannot be beat since you are one block to the White House and two metro stations. We had desert and lunch in the restaurant and the creme bruele was fabulous. I hope I get to stay here again in the future - it is the best place I have stayed in this area of DC.

Room Tip: I sleep on the side of the bed that is the most firm. My mattress needed to be flipped. I was on a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the St. Regis Washington DC! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your room’s “wonderful” shower, the property’s unbeatable location, “great” front desk and concierge staff and the “fabulous” crème brulee at our signature restaurant “Adour” by Alain Ducasse. I hope that you choose the St. Regis on future trips to Washington DC.

Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at the St. Regis last sunday with my husband and two teenage kids. We had reserved two rooms and were offered connecting rooms when we arrived (tho that was not a necessity), though only one was ready - we were informed the other would be ready by 3. When we returned from lunch at 3 we were told the room wasn't ready but that they would call us as soon as it was. Four promised calls which were not delivered and three hours later, we were forced to shower in our kids room because our room was still not ready and we had a 6 o'clock date with friends. We understand that things happen and mistakes are made - what was astounding was that there was not one apology or any inclination to compensate us for this communication debacle and huge inconvenience. I'd expect a lot more from this hotel! We later found out there were several empty room on our floor (and we were finally moved to one of these) . why did we have to wait hours?? and why was there zero communication?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank photomom55

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the St. Regis Washington DC. The difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal, exceptionally high standard of service. I assure you that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. I sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. I wish to speak to you at your earliest convenience. I may be reached at 202.638.2626. Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

All of my comments are based on my high expectations of the St. Regis brand.

I am a Lifetime Platinum member and had a recent stay. I found the hotel to be mediocre. When I checked in, there was only one agent at the front desk causing a back up. I was not given any noticeable upgrade though the hotel was full.

The room was fine though definitely small. The first things I noticed was the towels were very worn and rough. I couldn't believe how rough they were given the St. Regis brand/rate paid. Also, even though the room was booked for two people, only one small bottle of water was provided. Again, you'd think a hotel at that price point would provide two bottles of water (one per person).

There was really no explanation of the butler service provided upon check in. On previous stays at other St. Regis, an explanation of benefits was provided (i.e., unpacking service, coffee service, pressing of garments, etc.) at check-in.

The gym in the hotel was in the basement was small though the property offered free passes to the gym across the street, Mint. It was frigid when I visited so that was a painful walk.

On the bright side, the concierge was very nice and helpful. But, overall, an unremarkable St. Regis.

Room Tip: Ask about butler service upon check in.
2  Thank brxbmrzfan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the St. Regis Washington DC. I am very glad that you enjoyed our “very nice and helpful” concierge. I am sorry, however, that you were disappointed in other aspects of your experience at our property. The difficulties you experienced are certainly not indicative of our normal, exceptionally high standard of service. We take your Lifetime Platinum SPG status very seriously and I assure you that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken accordingly. I sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. I wish to speak to you at your earliest convenience. I may be reached at 202.638.2626. Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I spent five nights here recently while on business in DC. The rooms are nice, well-appointed and the staff are really terrific. The Concierge service was amongst the most knowledgeable I have run across. Room service was prompt and food was hot. Front desk staff and front door staff were also excellent. My only minor complaint was that of noise. The hallways and cleaning staff were a bit more loud than they needed to be but I can sleep through a meteor-strike so some people may find it off-putting. Not a "biggie" or a deal-breaker but it was a touch annoying. The gym is rudimentary but they had free access to The Mint gym across the street at no charge and The Mint staff - especially the young women that manned the desk were terrific. If I were the hotel I would probably ditch the gym or improve it dramatically. It is close to the subway and the White House and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The Mint for a workout; P.J. Clarke's for a burger and sweet potato fries and for traveling arou...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at the St. Regis Washington! I am delighted that you enjoyed our bespoke, award-winning concierge, “excellent” front desk and door staff and our “prompt” private dining service. I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding our housekeeping staff and gym. I look forward to welcoming you back to the St. Regis in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Staff were very professional and helpful. We wanted to switch rooms in order to get a room with a bathtub, and it was no problem and no extra charge. The bar was pleasant. Room service and mini bar were outrageously expensive ( does anyone actually take stuff from the mini bar?). We missed not having coffee in the room. There is a Starbucks across the street, but that, obviously, involved one of us getting dressed and going outside-- and it was cold when we were there mid-February. Other than charging for wifi in the rooms--ridiculous--and no coffee it was a great place to stay. Walking distance from everything we wanted to see and do. Good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the St. Regis Washington DC! I am glad to read that you enjoyed our “very professional and helpful” staff and “pleasant,” newly renovated St. Regis Bar. I look forward to welcoming you to the St. Regis again on a future trip to Washington DC.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Hotel is nice as is the room and the staff. What was missing, however, was a coffee maker in the room! You could go down to the lobby for a small cup as the St. Regis put out a coffee urn. In addition, it's amazing that hotels get away with NOT providing Wi-Fi in the room. Wi-Fi is available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Daily newspapers are available in the lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am glad that you enjoyed our signature, bespoke service and your room. I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding coffee and coffeemakers and am in the process of investigating solutions accordingly. Please visit the St. Regis again on your next visit to Washington!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The St. Regis was great. The lobby was small but elegant. The rooms were in good condition and clean.

Adour Restaurant was fantastic. As we were checking in, the president of Italy and his entourage (about 30 people including security) were shuffling past. Our kids loved the theater and spectacle of that level of security.

That incident kind of told me the place was going to meet our expectations.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Greg B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the St. Regis Washington DC! I am glad to read that you enjoyed our unique, exceptionally high standard of service. I look forward to welcoming you and your family to the St. Regis Washington again in the near future.