“Understated Elegance, Extraordinary Staff”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 6, 2013

From James, the elegant doorman with a friendly greeting, to the very discreet security people who handled noisy neighbors calmly and efficiently to amazingly helpful concierges who went to great lengths to track down a vegan bakery for my niece, every staff member at this hotel is attentive and professional. And let's not forget "Just Plain Jane," as she called herself, who staffs the bar on Sunday evening when the restaurant is closed and serves the customers in a professional and friendly manner. Alena the receptionist made certain a family reunion was very special. It's not often that the staff in hotel impress me so much that I make note of so many names and remember them months later.

And the room -- I felt like I was back in a Loire Valley chateau, but one with hi-tech marvels. The Electric Mirror seemed to float inside the bathroom mirror like a hologram and let this news junkie watch the news even while washing my face. The shower featured Roman-style tiles and the Remede toiletries were fabulous and worth a fortune (as I found out later when I went online to buy some). The comfortable beds come with an almost comical pile of pillows to cocoon in.

Even so all of this was great value for money. I prepaid over the internet well in advance. Many other less-upscale brands in terrible locations were actually asking much more money for a room, so I was quite satisfied.

Room Tip: Even the rooms on the street are quiet thanks to double or triple glazing.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the taking the time to post your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Please keep us in mind for your next reunion as we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in late January. The staff is very helpful and attentive. My husband accidentally booked a room with one king bed for a family of four. They were quick to offer us another room immediately, but since he had already checked into the king room, they brought a very clean and comfortable roll away. We also forgot toothpaste and they brought some to our room very quickly.The location is within walking distance to many things in the area. We were close to the Smithsonian museums, Aquarium, White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, and so much more. Our children are only 6 and 7 and they were able to walk everywhere without becoming too tired. After an entire day of sightseeing, we decided to order room service, and I was surprised, but happy to see they offered a kids menu that was reasonably priced. The hotel didn't appear to really be family-friendly at first, but it truly was a nice place to stay with kids.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting about your experience at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back during a future stay.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Family of four stayed three nights after Christmas. This is a very nice, small hotel. Nice, not luxurious and the price (250/night) reflected that. The location is excellent as one can walk to the White House and spend little in cabs going to the museums in the mall. I would be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I apologize that your stay with us in December did not meet your expectations. I would like to receive more detailed feedback from you so that we may ultimately improve on the guest experience. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at ammar.samad@stregis.com or 202.580.6784.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Love this St. Regis hotel. Conveniently located near the White House, restaurants and several subway stops. I must say it has certainly an old and traditional feel to it, yet very luxurious.
The bar has been recently renovated and it definitely showed. I remember the bar being rather dark, but to my surprise it has transformed into this modern and contemporary looking St. Regis bar.

This time I travelled to DC for business and had few hours left to do some sightseeing. I really wanted to get the most out of the rest of the day so I asked the Concierge for a couple of recommendations for a city tour. Jair the Concierge who seemed to work the Concierge desk 24/7 was wonderful. He provided me with some great tour options and I decided to go with the trolley hop on hop off tour which I can only recommend. Furthermore I needed a place for a quick bite and Jair told me about this fairly new Spanish tapas place near the hotel which was great.

Make sure you don't miss the champagne sabering which is a St. Regis hotel tradition and happens everyday at exactly six o'clock. I did not have a chance to try their Adure restaurant for dinner but had breakfast there which was very reasonable, I really enjoyed the pastries and the servers were always very friendly.

On the down side, they are still not offering a Spa and their gym is limited. You do have a choice of complimentary gym passes across the street and the hotel does offer in room massages.

I was overall impressed with the attentiveness of the staff, and everyone seemed to be willing to go the extra mile.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brixton L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about the hotel and your experience with the Concierge team. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the newly renovated bar as we are very pleased with the new look and feel. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This is the best service, best view, best luxury hotel in Wasington DC. It has a great lobby and the rooms have all the luxuries. The hotel is a classic, historical and reflects old galore. The staff is amazing and very attentive. If you are looking for a contemporary hotel with modern updates this hotel is not for you, but if you are looking for a hotel that would make you feel important in a glamorous atmosphere this is for you. The lobby is amazing .

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive comments regarding the hotel and for taking the time to post your review. Please keep us in mind during your return to Washington.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel has mastered good service. I had a meeting at the hotel and was bowled over by the lobby and the kindness of the doormen. I was very impressed by Alex, a wonderful concierge who helped with directions and restaurant recommendations on request, and made sure my colleagues and I were treated like royalty at the various restaurants we visited. I travel to Washington frequently, and have to say this hotel has an exceptional staff. I will highly recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I wish to express my sincere appreciation and thanks to the employees at the Washington DC hotel that I patronized this past Sunday and Monday (January 20 & 21, 2013). Not only were the staff at the bar/restaurant friendly, professional and accommodating, but I wish to specifically note Alex Gruhin's and Lida Small's extraordinary service. I was in town for the Presidential Inauguration and inquired of the Concierge staff about the possibility of obtaining swearing in tickets which were extremely difficult in acquiring. Within 6 hours Alex and Lida provided one which allowed me to have a very special experience by attending the event. I'm of the opinion that the management and staff there provide a hotel experience that is beyond hospitable and professional and are to be complimented.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo