WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Rocky start by strong finish!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #17 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Rocky start by strong finish!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

As a SPG Platnium Lifetime Guest I have come to enjoy the loyalty Starwood Properties have for their most frequent guests this was certainly the case at my recent stay at the St. Regis Hotel in DC! I had checked in and upon arriving at my room recognized the room had not been cleaned completley and returned to the front desk for a new room assignment. I was upgraded to suite and appolgies given for the mishap. The property is old school with wonderful furnishings in the hotel, and very comfortable and inviting. The Suite assigned to me was large and spacious , had a great working area, extra large bathroom with a tub and large walk in shower. Additional services such a on call butler who offer services such as unpacking, shoe shine, etc are also a great touch to bring elegance back to the hotel stay. I really appreciated the friendly staff who showed me great service all round in making sure my stay was a great one! I will be back !

Room Tip: Recommend upper floors city view if available or suite upgrad
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your feedback and am glad that we were able to turn around your stay by providing our uncompromising signature St. Regis service. I apologize for the error at check in and the inconvenience it caused with the room not being prepared properly. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Washington.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Redding, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have been to DC four times in the past 18 months, and have stayed at the St. Regis every time - and i usually stay 5 or 6 nights. I have really grown to like the hotel, especially the staff. When i arrived this last time many of the staff remembered me from previous stays - and that blew me a way. The lobby iss comfortable and really lovely, (check out the ceiling). Adour Restaurant is excellent - but really pricey. I do go out for breakfast as I cannot bear the cost - but the food is terrific when i have eaten there and the staff and service is great. The concierge team is fantastic - especially Lidia - she goes out of her ways to help. JF is one of the best conference service folks I have ever met. The rooms are really comfortable and well equipped for the business traveller - with plenty of outlets. I do wish the wifi was less expensive, however! Rooms have great bathrooms, comfortble beds and (my favorite) i-pod docks! And the location is great - right near the White House and Lafayette Park. I feel very comfortable here and am always happy to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the St. Regis during your next visit to Washington.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

There was no coffee maker in the room, so room service rips you off with a delivery charge AND a 20% service charge AND an 11% tax - all undisclosed until you checkout. Why do expensive hotels charge for internet and the cheap hotels give it away? Room was cramped and dark. Hopefully never again.

Room Tip: pick a different place to stay
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

I apologize that you were displeased with your stay. Concerning our Private Dining option, there is a disclaimer on the bottom of each page of the room service menu which states “A 20% service charge plus taxes and a $5.00 delivery charge will be added to your bill. The service charge includes an 18% gratuity for staff.” The Washington, D.C. Sales Tax is 10% and unfortunately beyond our control. In addition, coffee makers are available in the room upon request. Please feel free to contact me at 202-580-6784 or ammar.samad@stregis.com if you wish to discuss your experience further.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at the St-Regis. Check in was a breeze. The lady at the front desk did mention how our room did not have a view and if that was okay. I appreciate this being mentioned right off the bat. My husband and I would not complain about things like that, it's Washington DC it's not like we were staying in the Caribbean, so we said it was fine. The view was the back of the building. If you have a preference with views, I would contact the hotel before hand because I am not sure if they would change the room on the spot.

The hotel is located about 2 blocks away from the White House which is great. If you plan to walk to see National monuments and Smithsonian - bring comfy walking shoes!! It is a very long walk. It's possible to do it - we did it but something to consider as well. Across the street from the hotel is a PJ Clarks and Starbucks. We love our Starbucks so for us that was great. The hotel lobby is beautiful. I forgot to take pictures of the rooms but as other Trip Advisor members posted - it's exactly what you see. The rooms are pretty spacious. Loved the TV in the bathroom mirror! Everything was kept clean for us except one minor detail which I will now explain.

I don't know if it was just our room (625) but for some reason the sheets were always stained with something. I don't sleep with makeup and I just can't understand why the sheets were this way. The first night one sheet had a cut in it (I forgot to take a picture) but it was just odd to see. I did ask to change the sheets daily but I would find something else on them. I wanted to put on a bathrobe and found a stain in there. I didn't get it - I did not use the bathrobe. It was really weird and a little disappointing being a St-Regis hotel.

I did not mention anything just because I'm not the type to complain and make a big deal out of things, it's just I don't understand why stains did not come off their sheets or bathrobes when they wash them. I trust they changed the sheets when requested - must not use bleach, I have no idea! I don't want you to base your stay on whether the sheets or bathrobes have stains but I had to mention it. I haven't read any other review complaining about this so I do think it is a random occurrence.

We drove to DC, so parking the car at the hotel is about 40$ per day. Something to consider if driving to DC. At first, we thought it was great to have the car with us but found out that DC is not a parking friendly city! Very hard to find parking, we took cabs the last few days. We set up the internet for 5 days which was 55$. My husband always has to do some work so it's just a must for us to have internet access. Just thought I would mention this in case some of you are interested.

Every night at 6 PM the hotel offers complimentary champagne in the lobby. Nice touch for the guests staying at the hotel.

Concierge and staff were nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location as well as the hotel amenities. I apologize for the unacceptable condition of the linens and will follow up with Housekeeping immediately. In addition to our valet service, there are several parking garages within the vicinity as well as options for street parking during various times throughout the day. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit the Washington D.C. area.

Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

This isn't a motel and the price reflects that, but if you want a great location and service this is the place. There are plenty of things to do around the hotel and also is a great base of operations for anything in the City.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are glad you were able to experience the bespoke service provided by our employees as well as staying at the best address in Washington D.C. We hope to see you again in the future.

Vaitape, French Polynesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am a softie for places that transport you to another era so definitely found what I was hoping for at The St. Regis Washington: an evocative setting which recalls a bygone era that complements the whole DC historical experience.

More than that though, it was how the hotel has incorporated discreet modernity in several features such as the tv screens behind the bathroom mirror and the friendliness of their accommodating staff that made my stay so comfortable. I never felt that I was stuck in a time capsule and felt welcome in a real "today" way if that makes sense.

My suite was not ready on arrival but breakfast of perfectly poached eggs on readily available gluten free bread got me ready for a first day of sightseeing. Walking a couple of blocks to the White House then the Washington Monument etc was quite surreal! I realise it's a cliche but little did I know how many kilometres I would end up walking over 3 days... Some things appear larger and others smaller but they all look closer on the map than they are!

Upon return to the hotel, I was butlered to my room which was elegant and made me feel very special with a chocolate replica of the hotel as an arrival amenity. Definitely my kind of place!

Concierge service was excellent throughout my stay, the doormen were delightful and housekeeping was meticulous. Special mention to the room service menu which was both varied and delicious ( the risotto!!) and to the Reception staff who demonstrated that perfect mix of professional courtesy and human connection. I apologise for the memory lapse but I am thinking especially of the red-headed young woman with a European English accent.

I was sad to leave!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SuperStarfish21
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. Please come back and see us soon.

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were fortunate thru Amex Centurian to get suite upgrade and other perks. Stunning lobby, friendly and experienced front door and lobby staff, efficient check-in, pleasant conciege. Very prompt room service for coffee and meals. Phone requests handled quickly and efficiently, too. Well situated close to the White House, many dinner options within walking distance nearby. Did not eat at hotel's restaurant this trip. Disappointing small lower level fitness room but conciege gives free passes to full service gym across the street, nice for gym goers like me. My pet peeve at higher end hotels : ( this one no exception ) I do not know why hotel bathroom planners are so short sighted as to not to provide towel bars and hooks in reno'ed hotel baths. True the bath was big with separate tub and big shower and water closet with door, 2 sinks and high counter, but can't hotels provide a place for a man to hang his toiletry bag ? And why is the light so awful I can barely see to shave ? Forget the gimmicky in the mirror TV give me glowing mirror lighting so I can see, definitely poor hotel planning. I would stay here again when in DC. Other St. Regis provide lobby coffee this one does not, no big deal. High end hotel without the pretense.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UpperWestSiderGuy
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.