“Old World Charm, New World Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #19 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Seattle, Washington
“Old World Charm, New World Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

Staying here is like stepping back and forward in time all at once. Rooms are very old fashioned but in that charming way that you know they are supposed to be. Bathrooms are super updated - in-mirror TV anyone? But what sets this hotel apart is their superior service and attention to detail. Not to mention the great central location. Would definitely choose to stay here again despite being a sucker for the more modern genre.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted you were charmed by our hotel and by our staff’s attention to detail. We look forward to your future visits.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed at the St. Regis in July 2011. It was my second stay at the property and I was a little bit apprehensive that my second stay wouldn't be as good but I was wrong. The second stay was exactly the same level of comfort, class and friendliness as my first and I was happy to see that the service is consistent.

What I like in particular is the high quality bathroom amenities and the shower pressure is excellent. The bed is comfortable and one in which I could lounge around all day. I was there for business so I did not spend alot of time in the hotel itself but the business lounge is top notch and I like that it is unmanned and not fussy. Near the hotel you can find tons of good places for coffee and dinner and there is a CVS around the corner from the hotel. I had vowed to try Adour this time around, having missed it on my first trip but I was too jet lagged and not hungry at the right time to treat myself to dinner there... perhaps next time.

I did look at other hotels for my second trip to DC but the hotel location is convenient to the offices where I had meetings and the proximity of restaurants, cafes and the monuments allows you to combine business with sightseeing in a short amount of time. Plus the front staff (concierge and reception) and especially the doormen are pleasant and friendly and that means alot when you are travelling on your own for work!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank CosSwitzerland
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

Very pricey but I saved miles to book a room for a special occasion celebration. I must admit we were reclusive and did not see much of the staff, but they were professional, prompt and helpful. The rooms remind me of something one would find in a European country estate. Room service was fresh, tasty and uncommonly quick. So close to the White House that I imagine we could have waved to the President if he had been looking out a back window. Within walking distance of several subway stations and some good dining options

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ahmni
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. We are very fortunate to have a magnificent hotel located just steps away from the White House. We are delighted that we have earned your loyalty and look forward to your next visit.

St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

My family and I stayed at the St. Regis over Labor Day Weekend. We were in a Jr. Suite on the 5th floor. The Hotel and restaurant were excellent in terms of both service and decor. The room was lovely, and the bathroom large with both a shower and a deep soaking tub, both with great water pressure. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were very helpful and super-nice to us and our 8year old son. The only negative is that the fitness center is very small, and 2 treadmills (they only have 2) were both out of order. For you fitness junkies...., they have one stationary bike, 2 elliptical machines and one stair climber. There is also a nautilus type weight system. The location is great (2 blocks from the White House, Starbucks on the corner across the street, cvs pharmacy right around the corner).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide you feedback. We are delighted that enjoyed your stay. We have corrected the issues with the treadmills and we are currently exploring opportunities with our fitness facilities. Thank you again for your feedback, We look forward to welcoming you back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed at this gorgeous property over the 4th of July with my teenage daughter (following an educational event she had attended in D.C.). We arrived before noon, so our room was not ready, but they graciously stored our luggage, put a rush on cleaning and recommended lunch at Old Ebbit's Grill. (Another fantastic spot). As it was the 4th of July, many places were not open and there was a bit of a crowd. But the Concierge reserved for us in advance - so we were seated immediately.
Our room was ready when we returned - it was huge. Lovely and comfortable.
The best part of this hotel - besides the location, which is just a couple blocks from LaFayette Park where we went to watch the fireworks over the White House - is the staff service.
Leslie Valtin, Concierge, arranged multiple activities for us over a 2 day period. Meals at recommended restaurants (all terrific), spa appointments at the Four Seasons in Georgetown (only place available -and also first rate), AND had tickets available for the sites we wanted to see, including the Holocaust Museum - saving us hours of time waiting in lines. Very, very impressive.
Oh- and have a meal in the onsite restaurant Adour. The ceiling is a magnificent carved wood from when John Jacob Astor IV first opened the hotel 1926 as The Carlton.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the fabulous review. We are delighted that Leslie and the rest of our staff took exceptional care of you. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to your return visit very soon.

Broomfield, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed here on a business trip to Washington, D.C. I have stayed in 4 or 5 other St Regis hotels, and this one is by far the worst of the lot. It's not even close to the brand standards.

The entire staff (at least everyone I encountered) was rude, unfriendly, and unhelpful. For the most part, they didn't even try. Despite having a doorman, I opened the door each time I went through, while he relaxed in his heated booth. The front desk staff was surly and unhelpful. My room was large but old and somewhat tattered. The carpet was frayed and worn, the furniture was old and beat-up, etc.

What this hotel needs is a major renovation and a housecleaning of a different sort (as in the kind where they fire all the staff and bring in people who actually want to be there). This hotel isn't worth half of what they charge. Stay at the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, or the Fairmont, D.C. instead.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DMR33
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

My mother and I stayed here for one night as we were touring the White House early the next morning and I liked the close proximity in order for us to be able to leave our belongings there during the tour. My daughter lives in Arlington, so ultimately we were staying closer to her.

Upon check in, they offered me a room with a nice view; however, after I mentioned my mother was joining me they gave me a room with two beds but with less of a view. This was not a big deal to me. Although I prefer a more modern style (see my review of the Renaissance Arlington Capitol View), I thought this hotel was lovely. The old world style was beautiful! The chandeliers and seating areas in the lobby were gorgeous. The room, although not overly large, was tastefully decorated with a beautiful light fixture, pretty bedding and window coverings as well as a huge armoire that encased the TV, mini bar, robes, and two areas to hang clothes. The bathroom was small but very upscale in design so we enjoyed the beautifully tiled shower and the TV in the mirror.

In the evening, they offer a champagne sabering event. My daughter and I were the only ones to attend so we were a little set back when they gave each of us about 1/2 a glass of champagne and took off with the rest of the bottle. We thought they could have been a little more generous by at least filling our glasses! LOL

We did not eat in the hotel so I can't comment on that. We did enjoy the complimentary coffee they have in the lobby. The hotel was close to many restaurants and of course the White House, which was our reason for staying there. The walk is a little longer than I anticipated, which was difficult for my mother, so I would perhaps consider the W if the White House tour is a consideration.

I forgot to mention that most of the staff was pleasant, especially the gentlemen in front who opened the doors very quickly each time we came and went. However, a couple of the people at the check in desk were a bit "formal" for my tastes. All in all, we had a nice, albeit short, stay at the St. Regis.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family