“Gyro Goodness”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Do Not let the line scare you off, this place is solid and efficient. The Captain can be seen most days keeping his ship run at max capacity. This is some of the best Greek food I have found in the whole metro area. They also have desserts and other Greek foods prepackaged and ready to go.

2  Thank mbh13007

Reviewed August 27, 2013

There's really nothing not to love about this place. The food is delicious and tastes like home cooking. Each year I discover another item where I think to myself, why haven't I been eating this all along?

The people, not just the ever present Kostas are truly wonderful and warm. I don't think I've ever had a disappointing meal or some kind of mix up with my order...ever. And I've been to the Greek Deli I'd guess well over 100 times. That's what happens when there is a place that takes pride in what they do, respects their customers and are genuinely good and decent.

I also must mention the value. A normal person can eat one of their meals for 2 to 3 days--and the food gets better each day. I will of course often over-indulge and devour a Greek Combo for lunch but that's because it's just too good.

Lastly, I must give a shout out for not only having a great line-up of food and wonderful specials but they have the best bread in the entire District.

3  Thank IHateDaysInn
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Love the lemon/chicken soup; love the greek yougert; love the hummus; love the chili...don't love that there is always a long line.

1  Thank RhondaTW
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you go, you will be pleased by a wide variety of greek dishes and good quality ingredients. If you head there particularly for the gyro you will probably be disappointed---the gyro is completely overhyped and made with something more akin to a patty rather than shaved meat. Nevertheless, the bread, feta, olives, spanakopita, soup, etc are all delicious and reasonably priced for this expensive city. Also, it is a to-go place with tables and chairs out front so dont go expecting table service and if the weather is inclement you will have to find a place to eat.

1  Thank Paul K
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Greek Deli is one of the local go-to place. Many people from my office swear by their soup and homemade bread. And there is the soup Nazi (the owner who stands in the cashier calling "Next". I have tried this place several times but always find the food very heavy. I tried their lentil soup and the chicken soup. Both were very thick and can filled you up. I also tried their meatloaf and meatball. Again, like a load of rocks in your stomach.

Their pricing is good and their food is homemade. This place is just not for me.