“Neighborhood Gem”

Ebenezers Coffeehouse
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Inviting atmosphere to sit and visit, work, play, daydream. There are comfortable seating options if you want to stay and enjoy the coffee and drink specialities. There are limited food options, but what is offered is tasty. The sitting area is generally well-occupied, but the ambiance remains on the quiet and calm side. When the weather is right, be sure to enjoy the nice outdoor sitting area. There is great space for music and open mic events. The coffeehouse is connected with a community church and uses the connection to help those in need. One senses a sincerity to the giving back aspect of the coffeehouse. Take time to check out the interesting history of the space.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have nothing against the chain restaurants in Union Station, however my allegiance is always local, so I was happily surprised to find Ebenezers today. Truth be told I was lost, trying to find the public parking for Union Station when we stumbled upon this great, local coffee emporium. Double iced americano was a strong, flavorful cup and the sandwiches we scarfed down (me and my two teen girls and 5-year old son were starved) did not disappoint. The coffee was so good that later, when we were deciding where to meet up with a friend, I suggested Ebenezers. My double latte with a raw sugar was a creamy, wonderful cup of joe. If you're near Union Station and need a cup of coffee, step outside the station and make this a stop on your trip.

1  Thank chrisooo
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The coffee here is genuinely good. Better than Starbucks and your average coffee shop. Not the very best in the city as far as espresso quality goes, but I think the atmosphere is the best I've found in the city. If you want to take a book, your laptop, or just a friend and hang out with a drink in hand this place is hard to beat. Lots of seating indoors on either couches or tables, and they have outdoor seating which is awesome in the nice weather.

It's owned by a very forward thinking church in the DC area (National Community Church) and all of their profits go to overseas mission work, so you can support a good cause and your caffeine habit at the same time :)

Reviewed December 2, 2011

I am a big fan of Mark Batterson -- his books and way of thinking about scripture has inspired me and pushed my thinking. When I heard the story behind this coffeehouse, I wanted to visit. It's been on my list but every trip to DC got way too busy.

FInally, I was in the city for a week getting visas for an upcoming TV production trip in Africa, and I spent a few nice hours at a table by the window, enjoying great coffee, a very nice sandwich and a stack of Mark's books!

Even if you don't know anything about NCC or Batterson, it's still a great coffeeshop!

3  Thank joesindorf
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Ebenezers is located about a block from Union Station on Capitol Hill. Good coffee, with prices for specialty drinks (mochas and the like) are slightly less expensive than at other coffee shops. Limited menu, but the sandwiches are good. It has a relatively small interior space that is often full, but there is a large outdoor patio; a large room downstairs is sometimes open as well. The space downstairs hosts music events, typically singer-songwriters, acoustic rock, or jazz -- it has an excellent stage and sound system...and of course, great coffee from upstairs. Check the calendar on their website to see when something is going on, it's a nice place to spend a quiet evening in town.