“Butterfly”

Smithsonian Butterfly Habitat Garden
Ranked #132 of 454 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The children really enjoyed this visit here and that was 2 years ago. They still talk about the trip to the butterfly pavillion

Reviewed October 12, 2011

If you are in DC on a Tuesday, put this on your "to do" list. FREE entry on Tuesdays! Timed tickets. Bring your camera. We have gone 3 times and each time my husband has friended butterflies who land on him. They love him! It is hot and muggy inside - so prepare for that. And it can get crowded - but if you are patient and just let the folks who entered with you move down a bit, it thins out. The Butterfly Pavillion truely is delightful! Good for kids, adults, and everyone in between.

1  Thank PriusGirlVA
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We visited the Butterfly Pavilion with my Family and 1 yr old nephew. It was a GREAT activity for him and the adults. There was something around 400 butterflies and the lady that worked in the habitat was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Its not huge, but where else can you find that many butterflies and get that close to them. We loved it and I would happily do it again. :)

Reviewed November 19, 2010

A friend recommended this to me first a few years ago and kept mentioning it to me. Today I finally got a chance to see it. It was not as great as my friend described it or as I expected. But it was nice. All butterflies were born there. No exotic species. I saw a man with two girls and two boys. The boys wanted to leave as soon as they entered the pavilion. The father said, "I just spent $32. Could you stay here for at least a few more minutes?" The girls seemed to enjoy it. Anyway, I don't think it's worth traveling a long distance just for this small exhibit. But it would be nice to see the butterflies if you are in the Natural History museum.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

I have to disagree totally with the previous poster. I took my 6 and 8 -year old niece and nephew to the Butterfly Pavilion and they adored it, as did I and everyone else in the rooms, including both kids and adults. Yes, it is small, but you wouldnt be able to see the butterflies in a larger room. The tiny bit that you can see from the window outside the rooms is nothing, although it got the kids excited about going into the rooms. The butterflies landed on us, fluttered around us, and were gorgeous. The problem is the lines. You can buy tickets on line, but even then the line to go in can be long because they only admit about 8 people at a time (which is fine once you are in because you wouldn't want it to be crowded or the butterflies to be frightened and hide out of sight). I am sorry the last poster had a bad experience, but the lines themselves testify to the popularity of this exhibit -- it ia huge hit and none of us were disappointed. Just be prepared to be patient and come early in the morning or on a weekday.