“Turkish food in DC” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Seattle, Washington
“Turkish food in DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

This cuisine is one that not every city can boast having represented in its restaurants and this is what attracted my wife and I to try it on our recent visit to DC from Seattle. The place is attractively furnished and the menu full of items that looked interesting. We weren't terribly hungry and so we settled on splitting the vegetarian moussaka. I had a bit of hesitation as I love moussaka and feared that the lack of lamb would detract from the dish. I need not have worried. The dish was full of taste, was quite rich. In fact, I am glad that I split the dish as it completely filled me up. I did have a cup of lentil soup. It was a cold and blustery March day in DC and sitting by the fire was very welcome.

I only wish that I did not have the chance to try the Turkish pizza. It looked and smelled great. Who knew that the Turks made pizza? Try this place out!

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank lrswtsn8

Washington, DC
“Not the same old thing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I'm not expert in Turkish food, but I've been coming here for several years. I don't know how authentic the food is, but it tastes both good and different. I particularly like the bread and the spreads. The pide is tasty as well. There are lots of food choices on Eighth Street, and visitors especially light up at the chance for Turkish rather than Indian or Thai or the other more available cuisines available there. I gave it four stars, but it's not so great that we come here regularly. On the other hand, we do come a couple of times a year. I don't know that I would drive 20 miles for the food, but it is definitely worth a Metro ride to Eastern Market.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank jxx9595
Oakton, Virginia
“Fine Turkish Fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Cafe 8 is a gem, a delightful and reasonable sampler of the eastern Mediterranean near Eastern Market (just steps from the Eastern Market Metro station). The coffee is excellent, the wine list is wide-ranging and intelligent, the menu charmingly selective. By no means cheap, the offerings are certainly reasonable.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank BrandywineDC
Tampa, Florida
“Not the greatest”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We ate here and we should have left when there was no one in the place. Ordered the chicken kabob and my friend ordered the donner plate. We have never seen ketchup on a donner (gyro) plate. My friend could not eat the meal. The chicken kabob, rice and veggies were just okay. Prices didn't compare to amount of food provided. Did get the bread and hummus which were good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Turkish Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Family run and owned. The slow-cooked pork shank is not always on the menu, but ask for it if you're in for dinner. You won't be sorry. Wonderful staff and outdoor seating.

Visited July 2012