“Pandas and more”

National Zoological Park
Book In Advance
$13.50*
and up
Washington DC Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour Includes Guided Tour of Arlington...
$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
$49.00*
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
Ranked #43 of 450 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A park-like zoo containing 4,000 animals and 500 different species.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It's been years since i've been to the zoo. The panda were going to town on some bamboo and that alone made it worth the visit.

We took the metro which is the way to arrive. After a Starbucks near the entrance we did an abbreviated walk through the park, and had another Starbucks on the way out.

It's educational, it's interesting, it's well maintained, and it's free. Not much not to like.

1  Thank clherrick
There are newer reviews for National Zoological Park

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I have never been to a zoo where there are no animals until now. My advice. Go see the pandas and leave. Too many empty animal habitat exhibits. I would say more than half where empty.

1  Thank Msmithevv
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My grandmother and I were visiting DC for the week and decided it would be swell to visit our nation's zoo for three reasons. The first reason, it is free. The second reason, we are suckers for cute animals. The third reason, we went twenty plus years ago and loved it. Those reasons proved to be inaccurate. The zoo may have been free, but we paid 22 dollars for parking. Parking is 16 dollars for the first three hours and apparently goes up after the fact. We also had to pay two dollars for a park map that was unhelpful in navigating the park. The reason for paying for the map...to help support the zoo which apparently is not being adequately supported by the federal government via our tax dollars. Also, we did not see many animals. We saw two pandas, one cheetah, one lion, two elephants, one orangutang, some small mammals, but we did not see a partridge in a pear tree. The various zookeepers we met said they were hiding from the heat. I read other reviews from people who went in the winter, and they said that the animals were hiding out from the cold. So if you want to visit the zoo don't go during the months of April, May, June, July, August, September, December, January, or February. You do the math. To sum up this review, I would not recommend going to the DC national zoo. Trust the other reviews on this sight that echo this mantra. I don't know where these positive reviews are coming from. My conspiracy theory... employees are writing these reviews to counter act the negative ones. Instead of wasting 20 plus dollars on parking support your local zoos. You will get a free map, and you will actually get to see animals!

3  Thank Elizabeth L
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is one of the best zoo's that I have been to. Huge numbers of animals, and the size of the zoo is much bigger than I expected. Its always amazing, finding such a great place in such a big city. The zoo is free, so thats a big bonus. Really good for families.

1  Thank heyvinds
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to the ZOO in the afternoon today. I read online that the park was open until 8 pm, so we got there around 5.30. What a waste of time! All the animals were already taken in and all houses were closed. The park was nice, but we just saw a handful of animals.

2  Thank marianneandenaes