“I love animals!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 418 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A park-like zoo containing 4,000 animals and 500 different species.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I love animals!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

When I was little, I always loved seeing the animals and eating at the food and the gifts. When I went there a few years ago, I bought a plush wolf. :) I always loved the giraffes and wolves. I even went inside the place that had a room of books at the bottom level. My middle school class and I went there in the Fall once. :) It was always a blast. :)

• Arabic first
Northern Neck, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you want to take your family somewhere that is entertaining and can be great exercise then this is the place. There is an animal in this place that will amaze everyone in your gang!

Visited September 2012
Orlando, Florida
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Get Zooey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

The National Zoo is located in N.W., DC about 1/4 mile from the Woodley Park Metro stop. The zoo is free but if you choose to purchase a zoo map it is $ 2.00. A map, however, is not needed because there is ample signage around the zoo and there is a National Zoo app if desired ($ 1.99, but the app allows you access to things such as the Panda cam after you leave the zoo). The zoo is over 163 acres with Olmsted Walk the main artery (note - this is an up or down hill walk depending on your direction.....if you are mobility impaired consider this carefully). The zoo itself is amazing! The animals 'homes' are clean and beautifully maintained. Even though the animals are caged, the zoo has tried hard to make their homes spacious and comfortable. While there are many things to see, don't miss the Giant Panda exhibit!

The zoo is a rare jewel.....don't miss it if you are in the DC area!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank aw0rld2travel
Exeter, New Hampshire
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Truly a National Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I visit zoos all over the world in pretty much every city I visit. I may be a bit biased as I grew up near by the National Zoo, was a FONZ for many years, and was a volunteer keeper assistant my senior year of high school. That being said, I still find the National Zoo to keep up with changes and trends by zoos and aquariums the world over, and also being cutting edge in that in the mid 1980's the Director of the Zoo envisioned that Zoos need to be not just 2 dimensional in that manner in which the display the natural world, but need to be biological parks, where all the creatures interact in an ecosystem and with out that educational aspect, a Zoo might as well be filled with stuffed animals. I see that this vision continues and is now being emulated in zoos through out the world.

I must give a shout out to the Amazonia Exhibit and the Invertebrate House. These 2 exhibits are truly cutting edge and are examples of what a biological park can be. Keep up the great work Allan and Ed!

As for you people complaining about the parking: it is a city, parking is tough!

Visited December 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Some Seasons are better than others...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been to the National Zoo a few times and the best time to go is late Spring through early summer. Everything is blooming, the animals are active, and it makes for a lovely stroll through the park.

If you go during the colder seasons (I went during March one year), most of the animals will be inside or trying to stay warm. No the keepers are not going to shove the animals out in the cold for your personal viewing pleasure.

Last time I went was in June and it seemed they were doing some major overhauls to a lot of the larger enclosures so a lot of the larger animals were off-exhibit or tucked away in another enclosure and not listed on the map. You can check on the zoo's website for closures (and upcoming grand openings!)

When you consider that it's free (other than parking but we always ride the Metro in DC) the National Zoo is a great bargain. I wouldn't spend a whole day here but I always enjoy a morning or evening stroll here at least once when I visit DC.

Visited June 2012