“always impressive”

$49.00*
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
$60.00*
DC Tour with Wine on a Rickshaw
Ranked #17 of 454 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visitors can view the portraits of all the U.S. presidents.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The portraits alone are impressive, even better when a docent walks you through the stories of America's leaders. We stayed there, at the American Art museum, until they closed, late in the day.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Nicely laid out, easy to navigate and a strong collection. Particularly enjoyed the Portrait competition exhibit.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I grew up in an old southern family with old portraits everywhere and for that reason resisted going to this gallery for years. I was a fool. This place is awesome. Pictures and portraits of many of the greatest American Indians. Examples of early patents. Sculpture from many of the American great. Modern portrait by some of the greats like Warhol. Photographs by American greats like Adams. Ever time we go there are wonderful new shows. Also this is one of the newest and nicest areas in town. From early history to Jazz this place is a must see.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

After reading reviews, I really wanted to work this into our week's itinerary- but there is so much to do. Finally on our last day we managed a visit before meeting a friend for dinner in the area. They keep later hours so that worked great. We were advised to start on the upper floor for the more contemporary pieces and it was good advice. I was fascinated by the short biographies of the many accomplished, but not always well- know individuals - sometimes I had to remind myself to look at the art, which was outstanding. Photographs, paintings, and sculptures were wonderful.

As has been mentioned by several, this is a relatively quiet museum where you can actually escape the crowds. The atrium is a beautiful space and obviously a favorite retreat for those working in the area.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I totally enjoyed my visit to the National Portrait Gallery, but the best part was the gallery of presidential portraits. You will see gorgeous paintings (and artifacts) of our presidents with a small plaque describing his presidency. Many of the portraits were familiar to me already. Even if you only have an hour, stop in a see it! You'll love it!