“Great”

$108.99*
Washington DC Wine-Tasting Tour by Pedicab
$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
Ranked #17 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visitors can view the portraits of all the U.S. presidents.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was our first museum in DC and we loved it. We went in late afternoon and it wasn't terribly crowded.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

After many trips to DC I finally went here. Should have gone earlier.

You'll see the masterworks that grace every text book cover and dollar bill. But it's more than that; the giant wood-relief of Joan of Arc was my favorite work.

Bonus: stays open in summer until 7pm, after other museums around the mall had closed.

2x Bonus: the best dining district in vicinity of the mall is less than one block away, along the east side and going north one block past Verizon Center.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our family enjoyed visiting the National Portrait Gallery. Although we have been to Washington before we never visited this particular museum. The section on the Civil War was particularly meaningful as we had just visited Antietam the day before. My children enjoyed seeing modern day athletes and celebrities as well.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

First time to portrait gallery and it was excellent. Well worth the time! They had an excellent exhibit on photos from the Civil War on display that were very interesting.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I sent the family in- there were just too many rules. We had to pour our drinks outside, put our water bottles in the backpacks, and put our umbrellas in public umbrella racks (even though they were totally dry). (I had gone to pour my drink in the restroom and the guard came after me and stopped me). Too many rules. The family liked what they saw, but they spent less than 30 mins. in the exhibit hall.