“Celebrating American history and art”

National Portrait Gallery
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
Ranked #17 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visitors can view the portraits of all the U.S. presidents.
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This museum is one of the two that are "attached." It shares a building with the American Art Museum.

The most impressive gallery is the one with the Presidents: there are various styles that represent how art has (and still is) evolved. For example, of course the earlier portraits are your typical styles, but the one of the later presidents (Clinton in particular) is very modern.

The other collections (20th Century, Bravo, Champions) celebrate famous and influential Americans from various fields, heroes and sports figures.

It is educational for art students as we Americans have a tendency to focus on the Italian and French artists when learning about art. We created a few masters, too!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)

Reviewed July 10, 2012

The National Portrait Gallery is a must see if you are going to DC. Around the Chinatown area and connected to the American Art Museum. I suggest doing each on a separate day as you will want to spend time looking through all the rooms and portraits.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We spent a couple of hours in the National Portrait Gallery. Loved every collection I saw.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I've lived in DC for 5 years now, and I keep going back to the Portrait Gallery over and over. My favorite section is "The Struggle for Justice" featuring civil rights leaders. The gallery is in the same building as the American Art Museum, so I like to visit both while I'm in Chinatown.

As is true with so many museums in DC, this one is free!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been DC numerous times, but this is the first time I went to NPG to visit. The covered courtyard is airy and quiet, perfect for relaxation in the summer. And it really surprised me to see modern art collections and contemporary art exhibition - I thought it was only about dead presidents and their wives's portraits. And the space on the 3rd floor is another pleasant surprise. I would recommend to any one with 1 hour or 1 whole day to explore.