“Entertaining but better options”

Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC
Book In Advance
$42.00*
Washington DC Monuments by Moonlight Night Tour by Trolley
$13.50*
and up
Washington DC Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour Includes Guided Tour of Arlington...
$42.00*
Washington DC Duck Tour
Ranked #19 of 145 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Voted “Washington’s Best Tour” by Washingtonian Magazine, the Nation’s Capital comes alive aboard Old Town Trolley Tours. Live narration filled with humorous stories and well-researched historical facts will show guests all of Washington in three loops that cover Arlington National Cemetery, the National Mall, National Cathedral, Downtown, Georgetown and points in between. With 19 stops, guests can disembark for shopping, dining and attractions all day. Old Town Trolley Tours has a 100% money back guarantee.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Houston, Texas
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 392 helpful votes
“Entertaining but better options”
Reviewed July 31, 2009

The only reason that we took this tour instead of another brand was because we had VIP passes due to a bad experience in San Diego. (Long waits, full trolleys, etc.) This one had its own host of problems. We never had problems with the Trolley's being full but did have problems with the pickup locations not being on the right place on their map. (Capital and White House) We were just told, "oh, special event" or "oh, things changed and we are waiting on maps."

Some of the drivers we had were entertaining, others were bland. Some of the Trolleys were comfortable others uncomfortable. It gets very hot in the Trolleys with small windows that do not open well.

While waiting for their Trolley's we saw that the two double decker companies were coming around much more frequently. The other companies also had more staff on hand to answer questions. (They were even kind enough to help us make sure Old Town Trolley was going to stop there.) There are never any signs for the trolley stop for this company but other companies do have signs. It also appears that for the same price some of the other companies offer two days instead of one.

All in all I will do my best to stay away from any tours by Old Town Trolley, Duck Tours, or Historical Tours of America. There are much better options out there.

1 Thank pcsanity

• Korean first
Andrews AFB, MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Way to See D.C.”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We used the Old Town Trolley in Washington DC on 14 June and had a blast. We were celebrating my wife's 50th birthday and had friends and relatives in town. Of course, everyone visiting DC wants to see the sights. Our first contact with anyone from Old Town Trolley was a true ambasador for your organization, who's name does NOT match his attitude -- Grumpy. He was great! We had the best time and will definitely use Old Town Trolley again when more visitors come to see us and DC. Please pass on my thanks to Grumpy for a great time in DC.

1 Thank massey0785
new jersey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Skip this tour”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Unfortunately, I read the reviews here and did not heed the advice that said to skip the Old Town Trolley Tours. Our experience was exactly like many others - long waits, full trolleys, although the employees were very nice. There was no way we were going to waste our precious vacation time in DC waiting for the trolley only to be frustrated when one shows up and it is full. We ditched the whole thing around 10:30 in the morning and happily walked at our own pace to our destinations. Yes, we were tired and we had spent over $100 on the tickets, but at least we were able to see what we wanted without excessive waiting and frustration. For the $100 we could have easily taken a cab to all of our destinations.

2 Thank jkpemay
Sligo, Ireland
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“All Depends On The Driver”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We have taken Old Town trolley tours in several cities & always find them a great way to get an introduction to a city .I think how much benifit you get from these tours depends on the driver/guide & the interest they have in their job.We visited Washington in April so mabey we were lucky that the waiting times for trolleys were pretty short but because they only carry about 35 passengers they probably are very busy in peak tourist season.There are three different routes in Washington so even if you dont get off at any stops it is still next to impossible to do all the routes in one day.
I would ignore the trolley tour that takes you to Arlington cemetry as it is so easy to get to this on the subway & when you get to Arlington you will still have to purchase a seperate tour of the cemetry .
We also did the Night Time trolley tour which is quite expensive & to be honest pretty boring.They basically dump you off at a couple of the monuments that are lit up at night -mostly the same as what you have seen on the day tour ? Most of the people on our tour including ourselves got off when we were close to our hotels before the tour was complete.
With a little imagination you can make your one day pass stretch a little longer & this makes you feel you got good value.!

1 Thank Zena1
maine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“when it's good, it's very good...but when it's bad, it's horrid!”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We had one more day left in DC and decided to fork over the $88 to see some of the memorials we didn't want to waste time driving to and/or walking to. We were able to board the first trolley when we arrived at 10am, and we hopped off at Lincoln and right onto the Arlington shuttle bus. That stop, unfortunately, included over an hour's delay caused by the asthma attack I had thanks to all the smokers clustered at the front door of the visitor's center, so I spent my time there in an ambulance getting emergency treatment. Once I was breathing again my husband quickly toured and then we ran back to catch the shuttle, just as it was pulling away - our driver was kind enough to let us on. We then went back to the Lincoln stop, where we waited over 45 minutes for a trolley. We transferred to the green line and rode that entire loop, with a very kind and friendly driver who made the 1.5 hour drive quite enjoyable. At this point, it was getting late, so we hopped the orange line back to Union Station to take it down to the Smithsonians. The last pickup is advertised as being 5:30 (the reason we selected this company, instead of the others who stopped at 4:30). We ran into Union Station to find food (no easy feat when food allergies are present, but we found a couple of things to sustain us) and then made it out front at 5:15pm. We saw one trolley driving off, completely empty. There was a trolley sitting at the stop, but one lane out, and he was empty. I asked him if we could board, and he said 'no, I'm out of service, there will be a trolley behind me.' We waited, and waited, and waited, along with another couple. Finally, right at 5:30 pm, another trolley pulled up and off-loaded passengers. We all started to board (the 6 of us waiting) and the driver said 'hang on, you can't get on. just wait!' I stepped on anyway, as someone had started smoking next to me and I wasn't about to have another asthma attack. He started yelling at me "I'm out of service! You have to get off this bus! There will be another trolley! Get out of here!' I stepped down, and he pulled away. Then a woman (Margo) who had been coordinating things walked by, and I asked her 'when is another trolley coming along?' and she said 'it's after 5:30, you knew the last pickup was then, you missed it. Try a taxi.' I admit I got irate, and tried to explain what happened - only to have her tell me I couldn't have been standing there as long as I had, and there hadn't been anyone come by. We went inside, and when I explained that I had actually been physically standing in an empty trolley and he kicked me off, she said 'well, that changes things!' and got another trolley to pick us up. Of course, that trolley driver assured us the Smithsonian we wanted to visit was open until 7:30 - and when we got there at 6:10 it had been closed since 5:30.
All of that to say...parts of this tour were very pleasant, and they have some great staff working for them. The other parts were irritating enough that I would tell everyone to stay far, far away from them.

2 Thank rebeccadiamond