“Monuments By Moonlight-Excellent!”

$42.00*
Washington DC Monuments by Moonlight Night Tour by Trolley
$13.50*
and up
Washington DC Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour Includes Guided Tour of Arlington...
$42.00*
Washington DC Duck Tour
Ranked #17 of 146 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Voted “Washington’s Best Tour” by Washingtonian Magazine, the Nation’s Capital comes alive aboard Old Town Trolley Tours. Live narration filled with humorous stories and well-researched historical facts will show guests all of Washington in three loops that cover Arlington National Cemetery, the National Mall, National Cathedral, Downtown, Georgetown and points in between. With 19 stops, guests can disembark for shopping, dining and attractions all day. Old Town Trolley Tours has a 100% money back guarantee.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Oregon, USA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Monuments By Moonlight-Excellent!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I did the Monuments by Moonlight tour with my mother (70+), my husband and our two boys, ages 9 and 12 years. We loved it. It stopped at the Iwo Jima monument, the FDR and MLK monuments and the Lincoln Memorial, Korean Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial. Vince was our driver and guide and he really made our experience worth it! He is knowledgeable and a terrific story teller. My boys were riveted by his stories of old Washington DC and presidential lore. He pointed out the perfect place to get a picture and the best views. If you can request Vince's trolley, I would do it. The only thing we didn't do was to bring water with us. You can buy water at the MLK visitor's shop but that took precious time away from the monuments and we ended up missing part of the FDR memorial. Also, my mother takes longer to get from one place to another, so that infringed a bit on our ability to see more. I highly recommend the tour. The monuments were beautiful at night and it gives tired families a chance to sit and view from a comfortable seat. It was one of our favorite things in DC.

Visited June 2012

• Korean first
Calgary
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had trouble booking this online, i should have known it was an omen... Never got the email confiming the booking, never was told i need to print the ticket. when we got there, the tour operator was nice enough to drive me to a nearby hotel where I had to find a business center and have it printed there. Once we got back to the trolley (I was told it was a bus), we were all separated since there were no more seats together. The speaker system was fuzzy, I was sitting by a group of noisy kids and could hear nothing of what the driver was saying. The ride itself was shaky, uncomfortable, with a constant smell of diesel fumes. $140 wasted. We left from one of the monuments in the middle of the tour, disgusted...

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Thewolfmans
Historictours, General Manager at Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
I appreciate you comments about our tour and bringing the items you mentioned to my attention so I can get them fixed. It is when we hear from our guests that we can improve our tour and service. Our tour does tend to be crowded at times, especially during peak periods, and due to its popularity and superiority. I certainly apologize for the delay you encountered, and hope this one bad experience won't prevent you from trying us again in the future.
Danville, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The only positive, the driver was very knowledgeable. We rode the tour on a very hot day and the bus felt easily 20 degrees warmer than the outside air. There is no AC and basically no air movement on the trolley. We got off at the Smithsonian. After a few hours it became 5:00 so we waited for the bus to come before they stop running at 5:30. A trolley came by and rang its bell like it was going to stop then the driver looked at us, gave a dirty look, and kept right on driving. Needless to say no other trolleys came by. A very overpriced, and disappointing waste of money. If you're going to take a bus, definitely take one of those open top ones, they come around much more often for re-boarding and provide a more comfortable and better view. Better yet, just walk, with all the traffic and construction you'll get there faster anyway.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Matt H
Thank you very much for taking time to write your comments about your Old Town Trolley Tour of Washington. It was upsetting to hear of the delay you encountered and the inappropriate response you received from one of the tour conductors. I encourage you to take advantage of our 100% money-back guarantee; please visit the customer service page of our website for details on how to return your tickets for a complete refund.

Thanks again for your comments. It's only when we hear from our guests that we can improve what we're doing.
League City, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not good at all”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We did the Moonlight Monument Tour. Our tour left about 40 minutes late due to mechanical problems with the trolley. After dropping us off at the FDR Memorial and specifing what time the trolley would depart from there, our driver left before the time he had specified. This left my group, including my 84 year old mother, running to catch him at the end of the block. The whole tour was very rushed - I had to literally run from the Lincoln Memorial to the Korean Memorial. Our tour guide was rude to some of the customers as well. I would not recommend this tour.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank janetlee_12
Historictours, General Manager at Old Town Trolley Tours of Washington DC, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience with our Monument by Moonlight tour and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. We have a 100% money-back guarantee. Please visit the customer service page of our website for details on how to obtain your refund.
Africa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“OK if your expectations are not too high”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I used Old Town Trolley Tours for two consecutive days in July. Your experience will depend on your expectations so I hope this review will be helpful.

The Good.
The tours are a fun and informative way to see the city. This is our third trip over the years to Washington and we learned a lot more from the drivers/guides than we ever could on our own. The naration is interesting and the guides try to make it fun. Buying tickets and finding the stops was easy and convenient. The vehicles are easy to identify and while each one was different they were all clean and well maintained.

The Not So Good.
The cost of the ticket is quite high in my opinion. We paid $55 each for a two day ticket. if they were cheaper I would have been inclined to use three or even four days. The trolley never once made the 30 minutes wait time we were promised. Our average wait was 45 minutes. On top of this some trolley's were full on arrival which meant that we waited more than an hour. If you take an hour at each stop plus the total trip time of an hour and a quarter into account then you struggle to get in a full day of sight seeing. Personally I feel that a wait of 20 minutes for transportation is about my limit especially in 95 deg temperatures.

The Could be Better.
The seats are not the most comfortable and only one of six trolley's we rode had aircon.

1 Thank Fusspilot
I appreciate your comments about our tour. We are in the process of adding more vehicles which will help shorten the wait time between trolleys. We do stand behind all of our tours with a 100% money back guarantee which you can easily access by visiting the customer service area of our website.