“Must see!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Private Guided Tour of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The most popular of the Smithsonian museums features the Wright Brothers' 1903 Flyer and Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis.
Ashland, KY
“Must see!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

First of all, go early. There's so much to see and do in Washington, D.C., that I would actually start here and work your way around D.C. The only thing that was not "enjoyable" or worth the money, was the interactive flight simulator. One word: boring. Other than that, the history that sits inside this building is extraordinary.

• Arabic first
  • Vietnamese first
Honolulu, Hawaii
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Hasn't changed since the 80s”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

I first went to the museum in the 80s and I swear, it looks the same. I guess they can't really update it too much. The virtual ride is fun though. It was actually pretty intense but I think I just had a crappy pilot : ) The 3D IMAX was cool.

London
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 210 helpful votes
“Fantastic museum in DC made all the...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

Fantastic museum in DC made all the better by the fact that it is free! To see up close so many original, landmark pieces of technology is incredible. Can easily spend 2-3hrs here. We visited on a Monday afternoon and had no problems with queues. We also did the black hole planetarium for $9 which was pretty enjoyable

Boston
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great information and rare specimens on exhibit, but tired and dated displays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I both greatly enjoyed this museum, despite the fact that he is quite an expert on planes, while I am definitely not. I found the displays were set out well and logically, and were educational with good information provided. However, bar a couple of new exhibits, most areas look tired and dated and need sprucing up. There are several really interesting items on show, such as the first plane to fly across the atlantic, the first plane to fly etc. We found that in 2-3 hours we had covered most of the exhibits we were interested in without rushing, and had passed through the rest. It was getting pretty busy downstairs when we left around lunch time (on a Saturday).

Victoria, Canada
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Dated? There's so much to see here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

As with all the Smithsonians I visited, it's huge. I spent 3 hours here with the intention of leaving after an hour. You could easily spend days.