“Great Free Museum”

Book In Advance
More Info
$65.00*
and up
Private Guided Tour of the Smithsonian National...
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The most popular of the Smithsonian museums features the Wright Brothers' 1903 Flyer and Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had a short trip to DC and knew that this was one of the museums on our "Must See" list. The outside is huge and you walk up and can see some of the airplanes and rockets from the outside. When I walked in I was a bit disappointed though as I was expecting something larger (Picture the scene from the 2nd Transformers movie...). The exhibits were great though. I liked that they went into detail about the specifics of moon landing and space travel. One of my favorite things was the model replica of the Launch from one of the major space shuttles. I guess I didn't realize how large space shuttles are. I think the replica was 1/20th or something similar to that. And it was over my head. Pretty impressive. The museum was great though. They have lots of very unique and high profile exhibits. I honestly thought the Wright Brothers plane was a replica until the security guard told me it was the original. Pretty crazy that can last 100 years. Another favorite was the Spirit of St. Louis. It was very busy and crowded in this museum considering it was a Saturday but we still got to see a lot of neat things. They had a lot of activities going on at different ends of the musuem. One side had a workshop where you can build a paper rocket and shoot it into the air. The 'Air' side had some people salsa dancing... kind of random but interesting. The museum wasn’t exactly what I was expecting but it was great. Very geared towards kids but adults can enjoy it as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (19,837)
All reviews
in 213 reviews
"few hours"
in 304 reviews

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Fabulous Museum of air and space. In a short stay its the one museum I went to as the weather was so nice. Wonderful collection of aircraft and space capsules etc. Over 2 hours spent wandering around the 2 levels the Museum has. Enjoyable for all ages and anyone interested in space or air travel will be thrilled. Large McDonalds inside for any families and good dining area if it gets crowded. I would have happily paid it was so good.11/10.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

First time at this museum. Unlike any other museum we'd ever been to. Many different things to see including the Wright Brothers airplane, modern rockets/missles, old military airplanes, and even Skylab ! Very educational in many respects. Even had several interesting looking IMax movies which we didn't have time to see. Would go hear again without question.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was the first Smithsonian Museum I have visited. I was expecting a much bigger museum. The exhibits were nice, but I was expecting more original pieces. There were a lot of replicas. The museum is split into two halves, air and space, with a planetarium in the middle. It took me about a half hour to walk through both sides. The exhibit's are what you would expect from an air and space museum. There are exhibits showcasing airplanes from all eras of flight, including an interesting flight in WWI exhibit. The space side has a lunar lander, examples of rockets and many examples of tools and suits used in space missions. All and all it wasn't a bad way to spend a half an hour, especially because it is free.