“Huge”

Ranked #10 of 461 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open area of gardens, fountains, trees and monuments stretching nearly two miles between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial.
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I walked around the National Mall on a Segway, and it is huge. Surrounded by museums and historic buildings is mandatory for any visitor to DC. The green areas are well groomed and preserved. From the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial is a walk of about 2.14 miles. It is impossible to see everything in just one visit. Organize yourself and choose the attractions that most appeal to you.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,447)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

With the Capitol at one and and the White House at the other, it is easy to see why the National Mall is such a popular place. We enjoyed walking on the sandy paths and people watching. The directional maps placed along the way make it easy to pop into the museums and galleries of interest.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

If one is in the mood to do alot of walking than this part of Washingto DC is worth doing. There is certainly alot of park space and different types of sites to check out along the way. Lot's of food carts placed along the roadway. Some tourist type of carts to sell you some t-shirts, etc.

2  Thank b0b55russell
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Loved the leisurely walks we could take around the Mall and the way it flowed from one museum to the other. Excellent place to just chill out with a treat and take in the day

Reviewed November 19, 2012

All I can say is that I honestly thought it was a national shrine to shopping. I'm not joking.
The best way to describe the National Mall is lots of fields near the main museums and I honestly think that the best way to learn about the National Mall is to take a walking tour around it as you will learn so much more by going with a tour guide than relying on a book.
The memorable part for me was walking past the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the World War II memorials. I don't know why but I seemed to soak up the history just by walking past there.
The Lincoln memorial at the West End of the National Mall was where we finished up with when we were on the walking tour and it was great. I can't remember the company's name though... Sorry but I'm sure if you just type walking tour Washington DC into Google you'll find something.
We just kind of walked around the National Mall one of the afternoons we were there and it was really relaxing just to kind of chill and relax after we had walked along way.