WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #17 of 412 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open area of gardens, fountains, trees and monuments stretching nearly two miles between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial.
Farnham Common, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Don't get this confused with a shopping mall!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

All I can say is that I honestly thought it was a national shrine to shopping. I'm not joking.
The best way to describe the National Mall is lots of fields near the main museums and I honestly think that the best way to learn about the National Mall is to take a walking tour around it as you will learn so much more by going with a tour guide than relying on a book.
The memorable part for me was walking past the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the World War II memorials. I don't know why but I seemed to soak up the history just by walking past there.
The Lincoln memorial at the West End of the National Mall was where we finished up with when we were on the walking tour and it was great. I can't remember the company's name though... Sorry but I'm sure if you just type walking tour Washington DC into Google you'll find something.
We just kind of walked around the National Mall one of the afternoons we were there and it was really relaxing just to kind of chill and relax after we had walked along way.

Visited April 2012

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

just some fields. it may be exciting when there are festivals or other celebrations, but really, nothing much to do except walk.

Las Vegas, Nevada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“It's completely different seen from the air.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

You don't realize just how huge the mall is until you've walked it. All the musueums I visit when I'm in DC are right there but at the end of the second block, I would have killed for a moped.

Visited March 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“So much to see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

It is surrounded by many of the Smithsonian Buildings with the Capitol at one end and the Lincoln Monument at the other. I am impressed by how many historic moments have occurred here. Frequently there are fun activites from the annual kite flying to the folk festival.

Visited October 2012
Buffalo, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Walking American History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Excelent Walk... A piece of advice, dont walk here with suitcases. There are little rocks along the whole path and it wont help carry suitcases very easily...

Visited November 2012

Been to National Mall? Share your experiences!