“Bare with the NGA”

$49.00*
and up
Renegade Group Tour of the National Gallery of Art
More attraction details
Owner description: We belong to you. The National Gallery of Art—the nation’s museum—preserves, collects, exhibits, & fosters understanding of works of art.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I love the NGA and have since I was a kid. The East Wing being closed is a bit of a hit to the museum and for visitors who may not be able to come back to DC. The work needed to be done. There is still plenty to see and the Sculpture Garden is great all year.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,668)
All reviews
in 173 reviews
"calder"
in 123 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2014

I love going to this museum because it has a wide range exhibits. The presidential portraits are excellent but so are the portraits of present day Americans. The exhibits are constantly changing, from the birds, Time Magazine's the '60s covers, face value. Can spend and do spend hours looking at everything.

Reviewed December 7, 2014

The impressionist collection is superb. This is a free gallery that hosts the best collection in DC. I could spend days.

It isn't easy to navigate.

Reviewed December 7, 2014

I've grown up in Alexandria and have been going to the National Gallery of Art for school trips and then on my own throughout my life. There are so many wonderful shows that come through the galleries that are must sees. I will even go just to see older paintings in the collection. There is an excellent Leonardo Da Vinci and other exquisite Rembrandts and a few Monets. And its FREE. Always a lovely choice way to spend time with out of towners, or just for a nice afternoon stroll.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 6, 2014

The national Gallery is obviously extraordinary with its huge collection of art. Since there is no admission charge, it's hard to complain. I gave it four stars out of five only because the East wing is completely closed without any explanation or signs to explain that. I went to the East wing since the doors are open, there is security at the front, and it looks like its open for business. I went in and looked around, up and down the stairs, and there are signs saying don't turn here, don't go past this point, etc. leaving me sort of confused and frustrated about where to go. Finally I went back and asked the folks sitting at the information desk in the middle of the lobby where to go to see the East wing exhibits, and they said that actually the whole East wing is closed, they recommend the West wing instead. (The information booth had three people at it, as though the building is open and ready for the crowds. . .) I find closing all the exhibits in an entire building and then not putting up clear signage to be odd.