“nice place” 5 of 5 bubbles

$49.00*
and up
Renegade Group Tour of the National Gallery of Art
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the world's greatest art museums is comprised of two buildings: one holds paintings from the 13th through the 18th centuries and the other exhibits modern art.
Peoria Heights, Illinois
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Loved all the different types of art in this gallery. It was easy to get lost in there though. And there is a lot to see

• Arabic first
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“A superb art museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

The National Gallery of Art is one of the world's leading art museums along with the Metropolitan in New York, the Louvre in Paris, and the Prado in Madrid. It has a strong and impressive collection. During my recent visit I saw three paintings by El Greco, four by Vermeer, a painting by Leonardo da Vinci and numerous Rembrandts (including one in a stairwell) as well as many paintings by more modern artists like Monet, Manet and van Gogh. As would be expected, the American art collection is especially strong. In addition and unlike many of its competitors, the National Gallery of Art does not charge an entry fee. Washington has many other excellent art museums as well, but the National Gallery is not to be missed.

1 Thank Bruce J
Upstate NY
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A Smorgasbord of Awesome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I don't know what can be said about this remarkable collection that hasn't been said before, but it is truly a must-see on any trip to Washington, DC. The staff was remarkably helpful, pointing me to some exhibits I might have missed, and we were able to get a very good overview of the museum in a relatively compressed timeframe.

My only quibble was that I had hoped to view the Garry Winogrand exhibit, but it had been taken down the day earlier, despite still being advertised on the exterior. Had I known, I would have scheduled my visit at a different time.

Bottom line: If you're an art lover, this is a must-visit destination. If you're looking to see something specific, calling ahead might not be a bad idea.

Chicago, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Must See for anyone interested in art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I am an art lover and enjoy museums. I have been to the National Gallery before and enjoyed it, but on this visit, I was blown away. Our own museum, the Art Institute, is wonderful, but it is weak in art from the Renaissance. I knew that the National Gallery had significant pieces of Italian Renaissance art, but I was completely overwhelmed by the depth and breadth of their collection. I spent an hour and a half on Italian art and enjoyed every minute. They have I think 4 paintings by Raphael and even one exquisite painting by Leonardo da Vinci and that doesn't even begin to give you an idea of how spectacular a collection this is. This was the most comprehensive and wonderful collection of Italian art that I have seen. I really think that it surpasses the Prado in Madrid. If you want to learn about Renaissance art, you absolutely cannot pass this up.

Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Andrew Wyeth exhibit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

A chance to see paintings of an artist who we have loved for many years. We were more familiar with his egg tempura works but not his watercolors and this was a chance to see those.

Visited May 2014