“Loved Our Segway Tour and Guide!”
Review of Bike and Roll DC

Bike and Roll DC
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Washington DC Monuments Bike Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bike tours & rentals and SEGWAY tours! We offer the best value for sightseeing. Take a professionally led bicycle tour and let our fun and knowledgeable tour guides share historical and unique facts about the monuments and memorials on the National Mall OR rent a bike and explore the Capital City on your own-we have options to fit the whole the whole family. Free with every rental: helmet, lock, and map. Bike and Roll offers day and evening bike and Segway tours from mid March-mid December. Don't take our word for it - check out what travelers are saying about us in our reviews!
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My friend and I went on a Segway tour of the monuments on 8/19 with David as our guide. Not only are Segways just as cool as they look, it was even better to ride one while learning some history about D.C. As a local I didn't think I would pay much attention to the tour, but David was knowledgeable, funny and clearly enjoys his job at Bike & Roll. I am getting married next year and will recommend the tour to all of my out-of-town guests. Thanks, again!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,307)
All reviews
"great tour"
in 148 reviews
"old post office"
in 38 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 66 reviews
in 32 reviews
"union station"
in 82 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Overall, I would probably rent a bike in DC again, but I would probably check out the competitors. They had nice bikes there, and the availability of a trailer for the baby was convenient. The attendants that set us up with the bikes were just ok, but not overly friendly when we picked up the bikes. We booked and PAID in advance for what we assumed was a 24 hour ("1 day") rental of the bikes for 4 adults and 2 children. One adult hurt his back and couldn't ride, so they told us on the phone he would have a credit available if he ever came back to DC he could have a bike for the day.

When we got there, we were told there was an extra $10 per bike (and per trailer) "overnight fee". There was a sign above her that indicated an "all-day" rental vs an "overnight" rental. These two options were not distinguished on the website. Since we were in a hurry to get out and see the sights, we said ok and decided to address it with them later. She said that she would only charge us overnight fees for the 3 bikes and not the trailers, and that we would only have about $15 worth of credit left for the rider that didn't get to go. We got a very brief explanation of the rules, and took off.

The extra fee wasn't really a deal breaker on cost, but the way they responded was! When we went back the next day with the bikes, they charged us for each bike and each trailer, a total of $50 more than we had expected from when we booked it on the website. This meant that we would not only loose all the "Credit" for our missing rider, but that we would pay more on top of the lost credit for our missing rider. They really should add the "overnight fee" or "overnight rate" to their website so people can plan for the charges. They should also offer the $3 damage/theft option to the website for advance consideration. When we asked about why they didn't let us know in advance (on their website) about she argued with us calling out to us even after we walked away, proclaiming that we were surely aware of the charges in advance. Ummmmm - not before we PAID for the rental - ONLINE! But we were aware before picking up the bikes. But consider getting into town, taking a taxi or planning a subway ride to a specific location etc. Do you really think we would cancel even if we could? (We couldn't, not even for a back injury) The attendant that day - "Emily" insisted that this was our fault for not looking at the charges even though she admitted that it wasn't on the website, only raising her voice at us. Never an apology. She did say that she would "write down that we weren't aware of some charges.", but never even offered an apology.

Again, I think the prices are probably fair. I don't know if the competitors charge an overnight fee and haven't researched it. Price wasn't the issue. The issue was hidden fees and rude service. We had a fun time on the bikes, and they worked fine. They included locks and lights for night time riding.

They really should make sure these hidden fees are visible on their website, they should teach their staff simple customer service (maybe roll play how to apologize), and they should give their staff the ability to compensate for mistakes and/or misunderstandings. There is no reason that a representative of their business should be combative or argumentative to a paying patron.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My family and I have been visiting DC for several years now. This year, we brought a family member who had not visited DC in a while. We choose bike at night for a different way to see some of the monuments. It was well worth the $45! We saw nine different monuments in a little over three hours! Not only did we stop, Young, our guide, was well informed and gave us information on each stop. We had plenty of time to stop and walk around each monument we visited. Seeing the monuments at night was different. They were all beautifully lit. I would definitely do this again!! Also, seeing the sites at night was a lot cooler(temperature wise) than a touring during the day.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Never been on a Segway previously to this tour, I was unsure if I would be able to do it. Alex our tour guide showed us all how to operate our segways and we were off! This is a super fun way to see DC stopping along the way and each site and give us a a talk about each place. They also gave us each a bottle of water for the ride and a granola bar half way threw the tour. This is decently the only way to see DC! Thanks a lot Alex!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Hired a Trek performance bike from these guys for a few hours when I was in Washington last week. Kind of knew my way around the area (National Mall at least) so opted for a solo hire. Cycled to the back of the Lincoln memorial and across the Potomac to the Arlington Cemetery, then along the west bank of the Potomac and back across the river to Georgetown and yes you guessed it: to the 'Exorcist' steps. It's a little underwhelming (located next to a gas station) but I had to visit such an iconic place. Georgetown is very nice, if pricey, but the ride along the river was worth it. Then it was back to the NM sites, Reflecting Pool, WW2 memorial and the Capitol Building before ending up at the Smithsonian natural History museum which I loved. All in all a great day pootling about DC, helped immeasurably by the guys at Bike & Roll.

1  Thank T0nyS