“Women Rock - A Great Exhibit”

National Museum of Women in the Arts
Book In Advance
More Info
$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
Ranked #77 of 457 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1981 and opened in 1987, the National Museum of Women in the Arts is the only museum solely dedicated to celebrating the achievements of women in the visual, performing and literary arts. The museum's collection features 4,500 works from the 16th century to the present created by more than 1,000 artists, including Mary Cassatt, Frida Kahlo, Alma Thomas, Lee Krasner, Louise Bourgeois, Chakaia Booker and Nan Goldin, along with special collections of 18th-century silver tableware and botanical prints. NMWA is located at 1250 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C., In a landmark building near the White House.
Reviewed November 30, 2012

It was a time travel to view the Woman Rock exhibit. As a child of the 60's, it was wonderful reliving my childhood and adolescence. There are dresses and costumes from famous women performers, as well as music, videos and interviews.There is a wonderful permanent collection at the museum, too. It's worth a stop when you are in DC.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Many customes, notes, song scribbles, instruments, bios on many famous women in music. I especially enjoyed seeing the stars I had followed as a baby boomer - Supremes, Cher, Tina Tuner, etc. Nice staff.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

As with most people, I rarely tour my own city, except when others come to visit. And as with many in the DC/Northern VA area, I don't often go to museums that charge a fee since there are so many Smithsonian free museums to explore.

So when a friend suggested the National Museum of Women in the Arts for a day of my "staycation" and I saw online there was a $10 admission fee, I wasn't certain it was going to be worth it. Boy, was I wrong!

This museum is LOVELY. The architecture, the exhibits, the general ambiance! I went for the current "Women Who Rock" exhibit and loved it! They have information on and artifacts from famous female rockers throughout the ages- B52s, Billie Holiday, Madonna's cone bra, Joni Mitchell, Lady Gaga's piano - you name it! Some interesting videos playing of the music, too, and some brief biography videos.

But the rest of the museum was just as spectacular. My favorite piece was by Petah Coyne - a hanging dress made of dripped wax (see photo). The Kahlo painting and Georgia O'Keefe work was also, of course, impressive.

The gift shop had some fun things in it and was not outrageously overpriced like some museum gift shops are.

I will be back!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I visited this museum in October. The building itself is quite beautiful and there is an interesting collection of paintings. I especially enjoyed the Frida Kahlo self portrait. The information on the development of women in the arts was informative.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is such a hidden secrets, but a joy to visit. As a history assignment, i was tasked with researching women in the arts. I did a Google search and found out that this museum was less than a 5 minute walk from my job. I took advantage of a lunch hour tour and was impressed with the wealth of history that women have provided in the arts. Not too mention the gift shop was so cute.