“Great walk with my dog!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Cherry Blossom Photo Safari at Tidal Basin
Ranked #31 of 418 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Springtime in Washington means the explosion of white-pink clouds of cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin.
Miami Beach, Florida
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Great walk with my dog!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was the best walk that I did with my Shiba Inu while in Washington. I didn't realize until we got back to our hotel just how long this "stroll" was - and my 9-year old girl was just taking it all in.

The Tidal Basin is one of the prettiest walks you can ever do especially during cherry blossoms time. I was amazed at how serene it was despite the presidential helicopters hovering above seemingly doing exercises. Leisurely walking on the water's edge past the boat house and the Jefferson Memorial (dogs aren't welcome) and all the way around to the FDR Memorial and MLK (another memorial that doesn't allow dogs) was nice and relaxing while taking in all the sights. I had no idea that there's a wonderful Eleanor Roosevelt Memorial either until we walked past it.

There are many benches in the shade to take breaks along the way. The Tidal Basin was truly a pleasant surprise on this last visit to Washington...and Foxxy and I will definitely be back.

Visited April 2014

• Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two monuments In one easy stroll”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

First stop on this long-time resident's favorite things to do in Washington - a Sunday sunset stroll around the cherry tree-lined Tidal Basin. In a circular circuit, you'll pass the Jefferson Memorial (take a selfie on the steps or go inside for a quick visit). Continue walking along one of several paved pathways until you reach the Roosevelt memorial. There's so much or read and see in sections devoted to each of his terms, as well as a lovely granite waterfall (no wading, and no coin tossing). Make your way back and you will have walked a little over two miles. Parking is easy early evening on weekends. I It's a beautiful stroll, it's great exercise and it's free. Tip: far less congested, more serene and just as beautiful before or after the Cherry Blossom Festival madness.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank JulyBHAir54
Elgin, Illinois
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Pretty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We walked around the whole entire tidal basin on our visit in Sept/Oct. 2013. It is quite a long walk but it is very beautiful and peaceful!

Visited September 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,446 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,455 helpful votes
“Beautiful especially during cherry blossom festival”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

The tidal braising is a great dc landmark. I recommend walking along side it to the Jefferson memorial (the most beautiful memorial in my opinion).
Tip: you can take great photos of the Washington monument from the northern edge of the basin.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank HelenaGuerra
New Carrollton, Maryland
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Paddle Boats”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have lived around DC for almost five years now and I had always wanted to do the paddle boats on the tidal basin. I finally got around to it a couple weekends ago.

We rented a 4 person boat ($22 for an hour). The boat consisted on myself, my wife, my son (2 years) and my Mother-in-Law. It was fairly enjoyable. I am around 6'2", and the boats seem like they are made for people who are much shorter. it was very hard to paddle because it felt like my knees were in my chest. My wife is 5"9' and she had the same complaint. My son was able to sit between us and "steer" and my MIL was in the back, where she belonged.

About 1/2 hour in I stopped paddling and realized whey it was so hard. My wife was not paddling at all, she was merely placing her feet on the peddles and letting me do all of the work. All in all it was an enjoyable experience, you get unique views of the Jefferson Memorial and you feel like you are getting a work-out. I've never been (nor would I want to) on the paddle boats during the Cherry Blossom Festival, but I can imagine that the view would be quite beautiful, if you can see through the thousands of people.

Visited May 2014