Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
Ranked #13 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1910 and located on the National Mall, this prestigious museum, part of the Smithsonian Institution, holds the world's most extensive collection of natural history specimens and human artifacts including the remains of dinosaurs and tools used by early man.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Great exhibits of various animals' skeletons, an insect zoo, really cool fossils to check out, awesome dinosaur bones and reconstructions, amazing explanations of everything. Better to go during the week, though- weekends it's a madhouse!

Write a ReviewReviews (9,746)

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am not a huge museum fan, but this is AMAZING! It had so many interesting artifacts with details that held my attention. This is a MUST see. Love that all the Smithsonians are free!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

No matter what your area of interest, there will be an exhibit in this Museum to cover it. Unmatched collections.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was my 8-year olds first experience at any of the Smithsonian museums and he loved it! He was resistant to go at first thinking it would be "boring" but boy was he glad we went. He was nearly overwhelmed with all of the exhibits here and took over 100 pictures on my phone! I can't say what his favorite one was because he wanted to be sure we had least make a quick run through everything and we did! Will have to come back when we can go through more slowly but we spent about 5 hours here just to get a quick look at everything. We had lunch in one of the cafe's which is very expensive and I wish we had prepared a little better in that regard, but considering the museum is free I was glad to pay for lunch given my son's excitement. He will have stories to share for weeks about the dinosaurs, the mammals, what humans were like generations before and the gems and the list goes on and on. . .

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Staying in washington d.c and not visiting smithsonians its a shame you need to visit all of them its great hisotry inside of the walls and events you must try.