“Great museum”

Ranked #12 of 450 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1910 and located on the National Mall, this prestigious museum, part of the Smithsonian Institution, holds the world's most extensive collection of natural history specimens and human artifacts including the remains of dinosaurs and tools used by early man.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

There is a ton of stuff to see in this museum. The dinosaur exhibits were the first thing we saw. Very interesting. Don't miss the lab where there are actual scientists working. They will actually take a break and come out to talk to visitors and answer questions. That was really cool!! We also visited the gems (which was mind boggling). The geology section, insect zoo, animal bones, human skeletons and Egyptian mummies were all other very very interesting exhibits.

We went to the cafe and were far less than impressed with the food. It was way way over priced and not that good. Eat before you come if you can.

There are newer reviews for Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I loved this museum, especially the dinosaurs and jewels exhibits. We should have spent more time there but had other museums to see. Wish the bathrooms were more available. The only downside--the café staff was poor--bored, slow, and if not rude at least sardonic.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I would not have picked this as my favorite but this museum has something for everyone in the family.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We spent half a day here. We went to, and enjoyed, the Gems;Bones:Genome Sections. We participated in a workshop to obtain our DNA... We will return if we come again. PS Bring a packed lunch as the cafe is expensive and the food dull.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Third time visiting the Smithsonian National History Museum. I never get tired of coming here. I never get to see everything I want to so I figure by about the 10th time, I may just fulfill my wish. It is a 'must see' when visiting the DC area.