“Puts other natural history museums to shame!”

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
Ranked #13 of 443 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1910 and located on the National Mall, this prestigious museum, part of the Smithsonian Institution, holds the world's most extensive collection of natural history specimens and human artifacts including the remains of dinosaurs and tools used by early man.
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Puts other natural history museums to shame!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I come from London UK and this museum puts our National Museum of Natural History to shame - they should come pay a visit and learn! Great interaction for kids and the exhibits are really well laid out. Well worth a visit when at the National Mall.

• Arabic first
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The most to see!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent over six hours in this museum and I don't think we saw everything. It has everything you can imagine. I really enjoyed the animals - better than a zoo because you can see them up close! The gems were also amazing, and the area on volcanoes and earthquakes. The main restaurant was very busy, but we found a small one called the Fossil Cafe (near the dinosaurs) that had no line and good food.

Quito
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Each time I go to washington DC I must go to thismuseum”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Well everytime i visit Washington Dc I go to the Mall while I walk I go to this museum , and everytime I find something new,
It is wothwhile visiting when in Washington D.C.

Visited September 2012
Pensacola, Florida
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Okay”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Interesting but not exactly what I expected. We went to a couple of museums and yes there was a lot to see. I am glad we went but have zero interest in going again. The best thing I saw was the Hope Diamond. I can't speak for the person who was with me. I think we may have had a difference if opinion.

Kitchener, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Dinosaurs for the kids and the Hope Diamond for the wife”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

One of the best museums which contain a varied display of natural wonders. There was a butterfly exhibit and IMAX theatre for an additonal charge, but we didn't end up going to it because there was already enough to see throughout the museum.

1 Thank LeisuresuitEDR