“Never Forget - Very Sad, But Memorable”

Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Morning DC Small-Group Bus Tour
$75.00*
DC Monuments and Memorials Pedicab Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Emotionally stirring memorial pays tribute to the men and women who served in one of America's most controversial wars.
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This wall immortalizes the 58,000+ soldiers who died in the SE Asian conflict. It puts a human face on the war. Like most people of my age, I knew someone who died in this war -- he sat behind me in English class in HS. You can easily research the location of the name of anyone who died on the wall. Unfortunately, many of the names are so high up on the wall that you cannot take an impression.

The memorial does a wonderful job of remembering those who died in this war; however, it does not do enough to honor all who fought in the war. I am glad that they added the bronze statue of the three standing soldiers and the women's memorial.

1  Thank CynthiafromOhio2011
Write a ReviewReviews (9,598)

Reviewed April 18, 2012

This monument is just amazing. We visited over Easter break and felt honored that we had such a good National Parks guy giving a fabulous lecture about the history of the monument. He interjected his stories about what people have left at the wall and that made it so interesting, even for the kids. Special thanks to the volunteer that gave me paper to do a rubbing of my father's name. What a great guy for allowing me to do that. Special place.

1  Thank Kim D
Reviewed April 18, 2012

It's really something to see how many names are on the wall.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I found 2 people on the wall that I personally knew. Great people work here(volunteers) that helped me find the names.

1  Thank James99946
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is quite possibly the only war memorial that actually seeks to REMEMBER the actual soliders rather than to prettify, glorify or exalt their sacrifice, and as a result it leaves you with a sense of sobered exaltation. Considering how bitterly divided we all were about this war, the fact that most everyone comes together here in a respectful, peaceful spirit is quite miraculous.