“This building is gorgeous”

Library of Congress
Book In Advance
More Info
$35.00*
and up
2.5-Hour U.S. Capitol Building and Capitol Hill...
Ranked #15 of 478 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Though the Library of Congress doesn't own every book ever published, it sure has most of them, with 532 miles of shelves and 115 million items, with 7,000 added each working day.
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Being a teenager I was not terribly enthused to go to a library. I mean, I like books, but I thought this building would just be, well, a very large and very secure library. Which it is. However, it is also one of the most impressive, well-decorated, and stunning buildings that I've ever seen. Keep in mind that I saw the National Cathedral the day before we went here and that statement gains a little more weight.

If you only have 15 minutes, I would suggest just looking around to see the opulence and beauty of the building. You must, MUST, see the Main Reading Room. The size and splendor of it is breathtaking. The ceilings are also very interesting in general. According to our tour guide when they were building the library they realized the government had given them more than enough money to construct the building, so they basically let a bunch of artists loose and told them to make the building beautiful. They succeeded, let me tell you.

Also interesting is the sheer wealth of information that can be scene in the decorations. There are quotes on the ceiling in some spots, there are hallways devoted to different disciplines (science, arts, etc.), there are statues in the Main Reading Room of important individuals (Homer, Shakespeare, etc.), and there are even babies on staircases representing the professions from when the building was built.

My last piece of advice is to take a tour. While the tour wasn't the most revealing, interesting tour I've ever been on, our guide did show us a lot of things that I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been shown them.

Overall, I would make this a stop just to see the splendor and magnificence of this building. It really is something.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,917)
All reviews
in 67 reviews
"across the street"
in 107 reviews

Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is not at all what is sounds like. While it will be a quick trip inside (kids will hate it) the architecture is not like anything I have seen in this country. I suggest going in the main entrance and simply seeing that floor and glancing at the actual library from the viewing deck.

1  Thank runash202
Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you get the chance, I would certainly recommend having a look at this interesting example of architecture. The building is very grand and impressive so don't be daunted by the fact that you have to wait in line a bit. Not really for young children but otherwise very nice.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Impressive library, linked to the Capitol via underground tunnel - its a library so books galore - over 7,000 added every working day! Imposing artwork and decorated halls set of the library well.