“Order Tickets Online” 4 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Viator VIP: Best of DC Including US Capitol and National Archives Reserved...
Ranked #25 of 418 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Repository where the most important historical documents of the United States are held, such as the original Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, Constitution and the 1297 version of the Magna Carta.
Durham, North Carolina
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Order Tickets Online”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

For $1.50 per ticket, you can buy a timed entry ticket for the National Archives. We went on a rather busy Saturday morning and were quite please to completely bypass the line waiting outside to get in. It's probably the best $3 we spent the entire trip. Outside of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence, and Magna Carter, there are several exhibits available to walk through. The gentleman in security also informed me that if you go in through the front entrance of the National Archives, you can look up your lineage and family history. We didn't have time to do that this visit, so we'll definitely come again on our next visit.

4 Thank Bnix1212

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Inspiring”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

If your going to D.C. you have to see the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. The line is long, but it is worth the wait. Also, if you are military (with ID) you can skip the line and enter through the exit. Which cut our wait from an hour to 5 minutes. The staff was friendly and very informative with any questions you have.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Still Can't Believe It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I still cannot believe I saw the documents that were the beginning of our country. It all seems so surreal now looking back. It was approximately a 30 minute wait in line to get in but I would do it all over again. I will say, the guards at the Archives are all very grouchy but I would imagine that is from dealing with harried, confused, and non-cooperative tourists all day, and it is like this no matter where you go in D.C. Once inside the room that holds the Declaration, Magna Carta, etc. there are no lines. You freely roam around the room as you wish, in fact if you form a line, a guard is quick to tell you to move along. It is annoying to have other people hanging over your shoulders as you look at the documents, especially if you are of the type that really wants to look at them and spend some time reading them. Most people move on in about 1-2 minutes while I really wanted to engrave the image of these documents in my mind. The exhibitions, including the photographic exhibitions are simply wonderful. Beautiful pieces of art by very talented photographers. As a photographer by trade, I spent a lot of time in this exhibition. I was very pleased with my experience here, and found it extremely hard to believe that it was free to get in. Every American should have this experience!

1 Thank Bobbie B
Hutchinson, Minnesota
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Too dark”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I suppose it is necessary to preserve the documents, but after waiting in line for 45 minutes, I was disappointed by low lighting and the inability to clearly view the documents.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Great Visit! Highly Recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We dropped in to the Archives on a Sunday (early afternoon) when we were late going to another venue. I'm glad we did! The Archives includes important original documents from American history - Declaration of Independence, etc. Wow! Even our kids (7 & 11) had a great time wandering through the gorgeous building (stunning architecture) and looking at the documents. The far end of the Archives has more interactive exhibits about WWII, etc., that were great. We wished we had more time.

Tip: go when it isn't crowded, if possible. Sunday afternoons are great as are work days when it's not a holiday.

1 Thank WFleet