Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM

from $30.00
from $125.00
from $13.50
4,038 results
All reviews the star spangled banner julia child's kitchen ruby slippers wizard of oz pop culture archie bunker's chair american flag first ladies dresses inaugural gowns transportation exhibit fort mchenry food exhibit francis scott key on display my favorite great exhibits civil war
Reviewed yesterday

Amazing collection of American memorabilia. Well displayed but the worst audio guide I have dealt with in 15-20 years . The map was of limited use as info was quite sparse . The volunteer I tried to ask questions of knew very little . So , great collection, I think .

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

More connected to modern history and film/tv eg Ruby slippers and Presidents with First lady exhibition
Good one for kids and free

Reviewed 3 days ago

The best part of the museum is the cost. FREE. I thought it would be less crowded during the week but if it was I couldn't imagine any more people. Seats for resting are at a premium. The cafeteria is like nearly everything in DC Expensive! We took a bus to Chinatown and had a reasonably priced meal.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

My friends and I recently visited the American history museum in DC and it was awesome. SO many fabulous pieces of American history from Archie & Edith Bunker’s chairs to Dorothy’s ruby slippers to Mr. Roger’s sweater. This is a step back in time that is very entertaining. Of course, the museum is free and so clean. You definitely want to visit this museum when you are next in DC.

Reviewed 3 days ago

Planning on spending the day to see this museum, in fact you can spend the day in each museum and the food is great in the restaurants.

Reviewed 3 days ago

We went specifically to see three historical items: The Original Star Spangled Banner, which inspired our National Anthem; Julia Childs kitchen; and the Smithsonian's pair of Ruby Slippers from the Wizard of Oz, which just went back on display. We saw all three, plus so much more. There is a huge section on modes of transportation that helped our country grow -ships, trains, busses, cars, interurban rail. There is a display of all of the First Ladies' Inaugural gowns, plus many examples of Presidential China settings for State dinners; an excellent section on what it means to be President of the United States; the curated hull of the gunboat Philadelphia, which sank in Lake Champlain in the Revolutionary war. This museum has so much to see, allow 3 hours. There are three floors, with an East and West wing for each, with everything very well laid out. My favorite? As a home cook I loved Julia's kitchen. It is amazing what she had in there. A bit of everything! And yes, it is her actual kitchen removed intact from her home!

Reviewed 4 days ago

A great museum, but too much of the information has to be read, which takes an eternity.

I went specifically for their WW1 displays on 11/11/2018, and was quite disappointing. There was so little that I actually walked past the main display 3 times trying to find it among the other war displays.

There's also limited "flow" to the museum. If you enter one wing, you have to walk back out to get to the other side, it doesn't loop. And many displays are easy to get lost in, the direction of travel isn't always clear.

Very happy to the *THE* Star Spangled Banner though!

Reviewed 6 days ago

The museum is packed with so much to see. You could easily spend the whole day or days in here. America on the Move and American Presidency are my favorite rooms. Of course, don't miss seeing the Star Spangled Banner.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We didn't have much time, but wanted to visit this museum. We hit the highlights and really loved it. We saw the Ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz. My teenage daughter was fascinated with the First Ladies collection, as was I. So much more we didn't get to see. On my list to re-visit.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I had visited and enjoyed the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum - these had both been recommended to me by friends. However, I found this museum almost by accident on my last morning in DC.
This museum is fantastic - I found the place fascinating and spent an enjoyable two hours looking at the varied exhibits.

1  Thank Paul T