“The original Star Spangled Banner”

National Museum of American History
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Private Guided Tour of the National Museum of...
Ranked #55 of 466 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the Smithsonian museums along the Mall, this one has more than 3 million artifacts in its collection—from gowns to locomotives—that reflect and preserve a record of America’s past.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Smithsonian's National Museum of American History dedicates its collections to inspiring a broader understanding of our nation. The highlight for me was the original Star-Spangled Banner. It had a number of interesting exhibits and collections. During our visit, they were displaying the dresses worn by all of the first ladies during inauguration.

I do not consider this to be one of the better Smithsonian museums. We spent about 2 hours sampling a number of exhibits. A highlight for me was its bookstore had an author of a military history book signing books, so I bought one.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,256)
All reviews
"the star spangled banner"
in 397 reviews
in 39 reviews
"great exhibits"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Really enjoyed seeing the history of America. So many exhibits to see. The First Ladies' dresses was cool. The History of the Star Spangled Banner and seeing the actual flag. Dorothy from Wizard of Oz's ruby slippers, Kermit the frog. Cool little retro gift shop great or the kids. And of course it's free so that was a plus. Husband and I like this museum the most.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I took a guided tour just after I had arrived at the museum at 1 pm. It took one hour and the guide showed me highlights of the museum. After that, I explored the museum myself. Because there are a lot of displays in the museum and you may want to visit another museum as well on the same day, it is a good idea to take a guided tour. Of course, the tour was very informative.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

How would you know yourself unless you see the history of your people, what has happened around us through the years, something we missed reading in history books because of all those thick pages.

It is so interesting to visualize how the American Indians, the Africans, Europeans, Asians started and struggled throughout the years and now the gays the lesbians and women to gain equality as what the constitution says from the very beginning.

The first black American president, as an American, this is something to be proud of all over the world, that we are the people of good heart, kindness, friendship, equality, liberty and accountability. I am so proud to be an American looking and walking the halls of this museum.

I know children identifying their minds will form their opinion the correct way visiting our museums. And it is free.

2  Thank u6ytng