“The source about my own history!!”

National Museum of American History
Ranked #31 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the Smithsonian museums along the Mall, this one has more than 3 million artifacts in its collection—from gowns to locomotives—that reflect and preserve a record of America’s past.
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

When I was little, my mom took me there. I was amazed by the huge George Washington statue. I even saw the flag from Francis Scott Key's time. :) I also saw the Ruby Slippers from The Wizard Of Oz movie. It was crowded to get a good look, but that's to be expected, I guess. :)

Write a ReviewReviews (4,156)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had some neat exhibits, but was really boring for the most part. Was free to enter and did not have a food court.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very disappointed with this visit... they have closed the entire West wing of the museum on all 3 levels in prep for some great 2015 unveiling. As a result, some exhibits were in the lobby, halls, foyers - crammed with people. In other areas there were blank podiums with a sign "tell us what you would want to see here." Um... how about SOMETHING other than a sign? I keep hearing that the Smithsonian only displays 1-2% of it's collection at any given time, why does it have empty exhibit podiums in the middle of a larger exhibit? There is a reason that the lines are all in front of the National Museum of Natural Sciences.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had a great time at the National Museum of American History. I was impressed with the original Star Spangled Banner. It is somewhat hard to see, but considering it is a 200 year old flag I didn't mind the preservation techniques in place and was still impressed. I enjoyed the Julia Child exhibit and her kitchen.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Again , I would have given a 'Good' but couldn't go 'VG' ! Whilst it was a fascinating look at parts of Americana it was unfortunate that half the exhibits were closed at the time we visited. The war section was well done but again the Yanks forget that they had Allies in a lot of their battles !! The vehicle and transport history section and exhibit was really well done but I had to hurry the wife through the 'First Ladies' section, but fair dinkum china plate sets and dresses ??
At the end of the day it is a free exhibit and worthwhile as well.