“Not what I expected”

Capital Yacht Charters
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Thankfully I got my tickets through Living Social & paid a fraction of the ticket price, otherwise I would be quite upset. We took the cruise during the Cherry Blossom festival & saw hardly a blossom. I live here - the rest of the city is in full bloom. Also, we saw almost no monuments. I don't think you can count the National Cathedral or the National Harbor when they are over a mile away & someone just points towards it. As for the Jefferson & the Washington......they were somewhere off in the distance, you could see their tops over the trees - but don't think you'll be driving by them. The "monuments" that we saw were Ronald Reagan airport, the mouth of the Anacostia river, and some homes that generals live in - very disappointing.

I do believe they have a few different yachts, so I can only speak to the "Virginia's Jewel" The boat is perfectly fine, but don't expect to be outdoors. There is room in the bow for about 5-8 people, and standing room for more in the back. We wanted to be in the sun so we stood at the far rear. It smelled like exhaust, but it was better than being inside with shaded windows.

I think these boats would make a terrific dinner party, etc. But I was very disappointed in the cherry blossom cruise!

2  Thank Lindsey M
There are newer reviews for Capital Yacht Charters

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Cruise itself was ok, but food was pretty bad -- cheese cubes, crackers, veggies, cookies. No tour info provided by speaker during the cruise. Just up and down the Potomac 3-4 times. Parking was good ($15) but no info was provided in advance so we were pretty anxious about this as we arrived just in time due to very bad cherry blossom time traffic. A phone call to ask this went to an answering service that had no info, and promised a return call that never came.
I would not recommend.

2  Thank JoeChalmers
Reviewed April 10, 2013

First, booking this cruise through website is very very expensive and you would find the same cruise available in groupon for half the price..So, if at all daring to take this cruise, check out all possible deals and options. You may be able to find some good ones definitely.

Now, once you have booked the cruise, it is extremely difficult to identify the charter location as it is at the fag end of the street. No cabbie would be able to locate this. Add to this there is a confusion between Capital yatch charters and another Capital Crusie something. So allow sufficient time to locate this place. The directions that they have put in the website is little confusing. If you are traveling in Cab, just ask the Cabbie to drop you off right at the mandarin Hotel and this place is just 5 min walk from the hotel.

About the cruice - We went for Cherry blossom cruise and first, as I said earlier, this is definitely not worth the money that I had paid for. they have a crappy seating inside the vessel and it is not clean too. The Captains voice was too low to be heard to even recognize what language he was speaking. Such is the microphone setup they have.

Consider this cruise if you are getting a free ticket and have ample time to spend in DC.

5  Thank Vasu_Nagarajan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went on the Virginia Jewel yacht for the Cherry Blossom Cruise on 4/7/13 to celebrate my mom's birthday. I got a good deal from Groupon for 1/2 off the ticket (original is $40 + 3.14 admin fee and I only paid $20). First of all, I thought it was a bit expensive for it to be only an hour cruise and you pay for drinks (if you choose to buy some from the bar). The inside of the yacht is pretty nice and the cruise along the Potomac River was great. Too bad the cherry blossoms were not out in bloom yet. Overall, it was a nice family fun cruise and I'm glad I got the tickets for a good price. I don't think I would've done it if I didn't get the Groupon vouchers.

2  Thank green4859
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We scheduled our cruise on Virginia's Jewel. The weather hadn't cooperated with the Cherry Blossoms so we just enjoyed the cruise. Our Captain was very good. My only complaint would be that we really couldn't hear him giving us information about different areas. We sat on the bottom floor and thought it was fine. I heard someone say that the upstairs was the "best" place to be but I doubt that it was any better! It was a fun experience for all of us. Would recommend this to anyone during the Cherry Blossom Festival.

2  Thank ProudMom2