“Nice 'Oirish' pub”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: New Hampshire Ave
Transit: Dupont Circle Metro (South Exit)
Description: James Hoban's proudly offers guests a modern day taste of Ireland. We have endeavored to bring to Washington a flavor of today's Ireland, with a look that presents our most cherished traditional aspects yet also displays modern Ireland's strong European culinary influences. But while Great Irish cuisine comes naturally at James Hoban's, a very memorable dining experience is about more than the food. It's when the warm host, witty bartender, and savvy waiter treat you like family. It's the live music, the strong drinks, and the great company, all in our nation's capital. Stop by for a pint or a plate and experience what has been called a "neighborhood gem" and "warmth in the heart of Dupont."
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Being sick of eating burgers, chinese and kebabs, my wife and I decided to go here for some proper grub. We were not dissapointed. The bangers and mash I had was tasty - proper sausages - and my wife enjoyed her fish and chips. The prices were reasonable. I also had a nice pint of Guiness. Being an 'Irish' pub there are posters of playwrights such as Oscar Wilde and Brendan Behan on the wall, plus an interesting British Rail poster extolling the charms of the Emerald Isle. However, this being Washington, most of the staff were either Hispanic or Far Eastern and there was basketball on the big screen - which spoiled the illusion somewhat.

1  Thank johnofhornchurch

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Came on a Monday night after we got off our flight and got right in to a table next to the nicely sized bar where we could see a tv. It was 1/2 price burger night but we ordered the hot crab dip (yummy), bangers and mash (excellent) and Cobb salad (amazing). Loved the Irish decor, not cheesy. Had our favorite Irish beers on tap. Only downside was our server had very little personality but he was efficient enough. Great dinner to start off our trip to D. C.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were staying nearby and wanted a snack and a drink at lunchtime. I had sausage rolls with mustard and they were very good - just the right kind of mustard to tickle your nose and wake you up. My partner had chicken wings which he described as pretty standard. The staff was very friendly. I would definitely come back to James Hoban's next time I'm in DC.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband & I went to James Hoban's one night with 2 other couples. We were pretty undecided about the restaurant, and picked this one because it was (1) close by and (2) we had not been here before and I was up for trying something new.

Two of us ordered Fish 'n Chips, including me. I thought the fish was really good - lightly breaded and tasty. The fries were decent. Another person ordered Bangs & Mash and was really pleased. My husband got the Curry and enjoyed it as well.

I was pleased with our decision and would go back again if we're ever in DuPont.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stopped by four times in three days. First time we met Kyle the bartender, we knew we had found a good place in the Dupont Circle area. Kyle provided good drinks, good conversation, and great recommendations for other local places for us to visit.