“$200 for 2, food was ok but nothing spectacular”
Review of ICI Urban Bistro

ICI Urban Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
ICI Urban Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #388 of 3,337 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: 15th St. & H St.
Transit: Mc Pherson square station (orange & blue line)
Description: Both iCi Urban Bistro and Le Bar are as vibrant and cosmopolitan as the District itself. Located one block from Lafayette Square and the White House, The Smithsonian, and other renowned museums and monuments, the Bistro holds its own among the trendy Washington DC list of "places to be seen". The dynamic space welcomes guests with cool, modern ambiance and exciting innovations on traditional French cuisine. You won’t find a more desirable place for business meetings, special occasions, or dinners with friends. There is even a private dining area that accomodates up to 25 people.
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We ate here during the week and on the early side. As a result, our service was excellent, very attentive at all of the right times. He let us move slowly so we could enjoy the whole experience. We ordered the chicken crepes, french onion soup, scallops and osso buco. We ordered a $40 bottle of wine. Total? over $200 with tip. The thing to know about this restaurant is that the portions are very, very small. Now I'm not one to supersize so this isn't about expecting a huge portion of food. But for instance, the scallops were $31 and included 3 regular sized scallops. 3. It came with a smash of some sort of squash which amounted to a smear on the plate. That was it. If the scallops had been larger or tastier, maybe. But they were ordinary scallops. The chicken crepes come recommended but they are very average. I don't get it here. Even the french onion soup was average. I think the atmosphere is quite nice, very relaxing and feels upscale. It is across from an active bar scene but the noise doesn't really travel. Bottom line: I would not eat here again. Portions are too average and too small (we were hungry later that evening!) and too expensive. Hope this helps you make a decision!

1  Thank lovethebeachweather

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had breakfast, lunch, dinner and every meal was well prepared and the presentation was great! The service was outstandng and everyone was upbeat and made the experience wonderful.

2  Thank Cindy2096
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife enjoyed breakfast at ICI Urban Bistro. It seems that every meal costs about $15. I had a very tasty 2 eggs over easy with potatoes and bacon. The bacon was too greasy and could have been cooked longer. My wife ordered a bagel with salmon and cream cheese which was very good (comparable to what you could find in NYC). Earlier in our trip she also had the homemade granola which she said was "yummy" although the serving size was too large. ICI serves breakfast with a large basket of bread and croissants including a chocolate croissant which we resisted . It seems so wasteful to serve 2 people a basket for 8 so would suggest offering complimentary as requested.

1  Thank Westpo
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a business lunch here recently. We sat outside on the patio during a beautiful fall day in DC. The location and atmosphere were excellent, and aside from the occasional interruption by an ambulance screaming by it was easy to hold a business conversation. The service was good, not great, but at least they didn't keep bothering us every 2 minutes. I had the onion soup - which was very good, full of onions, and I could even taste a hint of sweet vermouth. My nicoise salad with seared tuna was perfect. Big piece of perfectly seared tuna, lots of greens. My colleagues had great meals too..... This restaurant is connected to the Sofitel Hotel, but it doesn't feel like a "hotel" restaurant.

2  Thank rossvesq
Reviewed October 21, 2012

While staying at the Sofitel, my husband and I were able to take advantage of the bistro daily. Everything mentioned in other reviews, we can second. The service is impeccable, and the food delicious. However, our favourite part was the coffee . Using a French Press, the taste cannot be beat in any surrounding coffee shops.
Every detention to detail is seen to, from the breakfasts ( which include a complimentary basket of warm French breads , croissants and pain au chocolate) to the dinners with their wonderful selections and decadent desserts. This is definitely one of the best restaurants in DC. Treat yourself!

2  Thank sazanneannne