“great place to unwind”

Tryst Coffee House and Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a great place to unwind alone or with friends. Both coffee house and bar, you can spend all day here with a book or your laptop. Staff is friendly and service laid back- go, it does get crowded, but people are willing to share their tables, sofas if you ask.

There are newer reviews for Tryst Coffee House and Bar

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is my favorite, absolute favorite cafe in DC to bring my computer to and work for the day. Here's why:

- Great food and an extensive menu (lots of vegetarian options.)
- Fabulous fair trade coffee made to perfection (French press, foam art, the whole nine...)
- Lots of tables (but they go fast! I try to get there late morning to beat the lunch crowd. Also, if they are all taken, look for someone paying their check.)
- Note: outlet power lines the walls, so that is the best place to grab a seat with your machine
- Full bar - and happy hour starts at three to revitalize your creative spirit!
- No wifi on weekends to promote conversation and simple weekend pleasures - such as reading
- Great music and overall vibe
- Live jazz music in the evening, once a week
- Local artists displaying shows throughout the house, rotating once a month

One of the best local spots in DC to work on professional endeavors, personal projects and friendships!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

You can go to Tryst to eat, have some drinks, study or just lounging... is a funny combination!

Tryst is a cozy and cheap coffee where you can enjoy free wifi and have good food and drinks. The desserts are huge and delicious! (the carrot cake is amazing!) and the service is good.
If you're planning to go to study or just to have access to internet, this is a good place for seating on the sofa with your computer and enjoy the great view of the Adams Morgan's people.
You can get there by metro (Woodley park) but you'll have to walk. I recommend taking the bus (bus 42) that will take you less than a block from Tryst.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I love Starbucks. A lot! I love Tryst. More! Tryst is cool..cozy..cheap with killer coffee and amazing food. Bottom Line..GO THERE!!!!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was introduced to this place by my son when he introduced me to one of his girlfriends. I was so engaged with scoping her out that I didn't really pay attention to the place. So I went back with my husband for Sunday brunch and we got a seat in the back which gave us a view of the entire place. Though I wish we could have gotten one of the tables in the front because they open up part of the front glass wall so diners get a great view of the world going by.

As an entrepreneur, I'm always viewing the world thru the eye of "why didn't I think of that business idea". I couldn't help but think that the furnishings were a great idea, since they were clearly from a local thrift shop (i.e, cheap purchases). The couches and chairs were mismatched, but appeared to be comfortable, and could easily be replaced by another visit to a thrift shop. Note that this is not a complaint, because it actually adds charm and character, and it's nice that it's not like so many other cookie cutter places.

The food is outstanding and they seem to go out of their way to offer fresh and organic foods, which are artistically plated. In fact, every dish served around us looked so good that I wanted to try them all. The server went out of her way to make sure we had a good experience. We had quiche, which was a little dry, but that is a personal taste issue. I like my quiche to be moist, while others may prefer it to be dryer. Also had Belgium waffles and huge cups of coffee, and yes the service can be a little slow, but this is not fast food and people tend to linger, so no one is in a hurry including the servers.

My husband's only complaint was that the music was too loud, which didn't bother me. All in all.... it's a really fun, comfy, relaxed environment. I wouldn't go out of my way to go here, but if you're in the area, and you like kitchy, funky, charming, out-of-the-ordinary places... be sure to drop in.