“Must see in DC”

Admission to Washington DC Newseum
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Find out for yourself why everyone is calling the Newseum the best experience Washington, D.C. has to offer. Each of the seven levels in this magnificent building is packed with interactive exhibits that explore free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment: religion, speech, press, assembly and petition. Whether you have just a few hours or want to spend all day, you'll find something for everyone in the family in the Newseum's 15 theaters and 15 galleries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Must see in DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

A friend highly recommended we visit the Museum while in DC. I too now recommend it.
I brought my two kids, 12 and 15 and we spent several hours visiting the many exhibits. I personally found the Berlin Wall exhibit very moving as I had visited Berlin when I myself was a teen and it was before the wall had been taken down. My mother had also fled Eastern Germany before finally immigrating to the US. Hard to believe that it really was not that long ago.

My son really enjoyed the FBI exhibit area. I too found it fascinating as I remember several of those high profile cases.

Also very moving was the 9/11 exhibit. The pictures and video recounting that day in our history were amazing.

We did eat in the cafeteria on the bottom floor and found the food to be quite good. They had a salad bar with a nice variety of offerings.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
philadelphia, pa
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“What a suprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Although this is not a free museum, it was highly worth the entrance fee, ( hint: our concierge had coupons $ 5.00 off per person) . We thought we would spend 2 hours there...but spent 5 hours and really could have spent all day. It was informative, interactive, and very well designed. There were times you could sit and watch a short video, which was nice to be able to rest for a few minutes and then continue on the 6 floors of displays and exhibits. I would think that kids over 12 would like it, I noticed lots of teenagers there and they seemed to be engaged. There was a large food court, plenty of clean rest rooms, a fun museum shop and an outdoor terrace area with gorgeous view towards the Capitol. The day before we went to the spy museum, but enjoyed this Newsmuseum much more. We enjoyed this museum more than any other museum we have been too. Will not disappoint . Lovely time in Washington, DC., although the cherry blossoms were late and not in bloom, :/

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Visited with our three teenagers and found this to be an amazing museum - we were fully absorbed from the moment we arrived. Our favourite exhibits were: Berlin Wall, 9/11, First Amendment, Pulitzer Prize photos......I could go on and on. Definitely worth a visit!

Beachwood
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Unbelievable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is one of best museums for the quality and information that is presented. We spent about two half days and still could not see it all. Something there for every age.

1 Thank sallyi
Warrington
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“We Loved the Newseum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Lots of exhibits, many are interactive. Some are permanent and some are there for just a short period of time. Great movies/videos for some of the exhibits to further explain. Entire sections of the Berlin Wall with fascinating accompanying info. 9/11 Display, Great Sports Moments in Photos, Tim Russert's office, President's Pets. Exhibits are varied. Something for everyone. We spent parts of two days here. Great views of DC from outdoor balconies. Definitely worth the admission fee!

Visited June 2012

Been to Newseum? Share your experiences!