“This Museum Is Fabulous...especially for Baby Boomers (who remember most of the news when it happened!)”
Review of Newseum

Washington DC After Dark Wonder Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Find out for yourself why everyone is calling the Newseum the best experience Washington, D.C. has to offer. Each of the seven levels in this magnificent building is packed with interactive exhibits that explore free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment: religion, speech, press, assembly and petition. Whether you have just a few hours or want to spend all day, you'll find something for everyone in the family in the Newseum's 15 theaters and 15 galleries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This museum could have taken two days to see-- we did it in about 3 hours. It is very interactive and very well organized. It's a little expensive because it is not part of the Smithsonian complex. Don' forget to ask for a senior citizen discount!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“GREAT!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

You may ask yourself if it is really worth paying over $20/person for a museum in a town where most other museums are free. Well, it is!! I loved every minute of this place and I was glad to find out that tickets are good for two days- there is no way I could have finished with this place in one day...

St-Ambroise de Kildare, qc
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Impressive”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

What a great collection of news items.
Don't miss the 4D movie.
Take your time to see each floor, the themes are varied and interesting.
Use the terrasse for a nice city view from a different point of view

Atlanta, Ga
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“News junkies will love it”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have been to DC many times. I work here for two months each year. This was my first visit to the Newseum and it lives up to what others have said about it. We spent about four and a half hours there, but 45 minutes was grabbing a bite to eat.

The food is what one would expect at a museum. Good selection of standard items. The pizza we had was out of the box - frozen - and edible only because I hadn't had breakfast. Lots of drink choices, but no refills. My suggestion is eat before you go.

The layout is easy to get around. Start on the top and walk down. Open center with rooms on the edge.

The hall with the newspapers was fascinating to me. Printed word from the 1400s forward. The Salem Witch Trials, Civil War headlines and photos, Nixon Watergate scandal, Prohibition Repealed. Countless newspaper front pages marching though history. I could have spent hours in that area, alone. Having said that, I am 63 years old, and in fairly good shape, but the floors and dim light make it difficult to stay for long. The dim light was especially worrisome in that particular room. The younger folks didn't seem to have a problem though. Next time Ill bring a flashlight. This was the only exhibition I felt worth a second visit.

The Berlin Wall sections and the graffiti painted on them were a visual splendor. I remember that era, so it was poignant to me.

The 9.11 tower and artifacts were popular. The wall of newspaper front pages behind the mangled tower was testimony to the worldwide outrage.

I especially enjoyed the room of Pulitzer Prize photographs. A stunning memorial to the women and men that chronicle the events of the world. So many of them were reminders of the originals I could recall living through. Very moving, and intense. It was hard to linger among the sadness of the world.

All in all, worth a visit after you have hit some of the other must see museums. I agree with all other reviewers that it is a bit pricey. The second day helps, but I wonder who has that kind of time. I would think twice about taking the whole family at that price. This is not the kind of museum most kiddos would like. Especially at $22 a head. Definitely for the high school and above set.

Oh, and take the Metro to red line Judiciary Square. Very short walk to museum. We found free meter parking on Sunday in Judiciary Square.

1 Thank Msaly1
US
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Give yourself at least 3 hours to fully appreciate”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Unfortunately, we arrived at the newseum late in the afternoon and had to rush through. Initially we thought it would not be very interesting but soon realized how wrong we were. The amount of information is overwhelming, therefore you need to pace yourself and enjoy the areas you are interested in. From a history of the press in Washington, DC while enjoying a grand view of the area from the 6th floor patio, to newspaper coverage of events throughout our recent history to the role of television, everything takes time to absorb and to realize the importance of journalists in shaping our views of events. if you are a political junkie, this is the place to spend some quality time.

1 Thank AgingTravelers

Been to Newseum? Share your experiences!