“Not just for newsies!”

Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Find out for yourself why everyone is calling the Newseum the best experience Washington, D.C. has to offer. Each of the seven levels in this magnificent building is packed with interactive exhibits that explore free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment: religion, speech, press, assembly and petition. Whether you have just a few hours or want to spend all day, you'll find something for everyone in the family in the Newseum's 15 theaters and 15 galleries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reno
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not just for newsies!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Excellent presentation and an I depth look at how news is made, how the components mesh to get the information to the people, and what journalism is and can be. I loved Tim Russert's office recreation, and the view from the roof is stunning. Bit pricy on the entry fee, it the building itself is a work of art (modern!) and fin to explore. Suggest starting at the top and working your way down. This way you can get a good feel for the displays and a stunning and evocative view of the 9/11 wreckage of the Twin Towers, which was still broadcasting after the hit. This museum gives one a good look at contemporary history and current events.

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A museum that's more than a sound bite”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

For any frequent DC tourist familiar with the many superb Smithsonian museums, the Newseum's $20.00 entrance fee may seem out of the ordinary. Don’t let this turn you away, a visit to this private museum is worth its entrance fee. It's well designed, has many interactive exhibits, and great staff.

The museum’s modern architecture manages to fit right in with the look and feel of the city. Its location is also ideal; it sits on Pennsylvania Avenue, the same corridor that connects the Capitol Building to the White House. I started out my visit by reading the front pages of the newspapers from all 50 states. These are located directly outside the museum. While it was the same recent scandal printed on all the front pages, the tone and choice of words gave me a sense of each of the newspapers’ character and even the differences from one State to the next. I was immediately inspired, when I realized that the Newseum was engaging with its audience, even before its visitors entered its walls. The exhibits inside are also brilliant. During my entire visit, I felt that it wasn’t just a museum about the news, I felt as if I was revisiting history through an emotional roller coaster. A few of the outstanding ones are the Berlin Wall and Tim Russert exhibits.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Expensive and bias!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This museum is overpriced, unless one can take advantage of the discounted rate for students, children and military. I was excited to learn they provided a discount for students, and then I learned I needed to have my student ID present which I did not. They would not give me a discount, which set the tone for the visit. They were unwilling to make an exception for a out of town visitor. This seemed rather ridiculous considering it was only five dollars off. Once on the first floor, I began to realize the building leaning toward the left. The focus on media reporters and networks were very bias. Similar to how American media functions today with bias reporting and liberal mindsets, so does this museum. What can you expect from a museum in DC, though? It comes with the territory for where it resides. This museum is very large, therefore set at least 2 hours aside to cover the entire place. If the cost of the museum was less, then I would consider this an interesting place to visit. However, I do not feel that the cost is worth what the museum has to offer. There are many other amazing museums in DC that are free admission! I advise taking advantage of those and skipping this one!

Chicago, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fantastic Museum! A History of our Times in Tangible Exhibits”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Let me start by saying that I had never heard of this museum but my daughter, who is new to DC, had heard wonderful things about it and suggested we go while we were visiting DC. Though described as a museum dedicated to journalism, it has appeal in so many ways. The first thing I want to say is that this is the only museum we encountered in DC where the admission price is good for two consecutive days, which is pretty cool, because there is a lot to take in. I'm just going to mention some of the highlights that I found to be spectacular. First , the September 11 Gallery, which contains 127 front pages of newspapers from around the world reporting on the World Trade Center attacks. There is also a piece of the mangled broadcast antenna that stood on top of the World Trade Center, charred cameras and press passes from a journalist killed in the attack, and various items from others who did not survive, including a piece of the fusilage from United Flight 93. This exhibit was extremely powerful and moving and I have to say it did make me cry. There is also the largest collection of Pulitzer prize winning photos ever assembled, many of which you will recognize if you are "of a certain age." The basement contains the Berlin Wall Gallery which houses eight sections of the original wall and a three story East German Guard tower, plus photographs of the wall as it fell. Mind blowing. You can also see the cabin where the Unabomber lived and was captured in rural Montana, notorious gangster "Pretty Boy Floyd's" shotgun, an exhibit about Patty Hearst's kidnapping, and much much more. This is also where ABC News’ Sunday morning broadcasts "This Week with George Stephanopoulos." l recommend that you go to the Newseum's website for more information because there is a lot to see. This is a real gem!

Visited October 2012
4 Thank shrinkdocdeb
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Love It!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

It is a beautiful building full of great exhibits, interesting programs that are different all the time and compelling shows! There are also working TV studios that are cool.

Visited November 2012

Been to Newseum? Share your experiences!