“A surprise favorite in a city of museums”
Review of Newseum

Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Find out for yourself why everyone is calling the Newseum the best experience Washington, D.C. has to offer. Each of the seven levels in this magnificent building is packed with interactive exhibits that explore free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment: religion, speech, press, assembly and petition. Whether you have just a few hours or want to spend all day, you'll find something for everyone in the family in the Newseum's 15 theaters and 15 galleries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Focused on a more contemporary time period than most D.C. museums, the fascinating content kept us there for hours. From young kids to grandparents, it was clear everyone was enjoying their time there.

1  Thank garhuff

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Very impressive museum. Well done. Tickets are expensive but are always good for 2 days so plan for that. They sometimes often special rates, check their web site. I could spend days here. Food is good but very expensive.

1  Thank Gary M
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I went here as a group event for a business trip. I didn't know what to expect and thought it sounded a bit boring. Boy was I wrong. It was fascinating. To see a portion of the Berlin Wall indescribable. The FBI exhibit sad (9-11 exhibit) and interesting at the same time. The Pultzer Prize picture struck me with deep emotion, disbelief in human cruelty and brought to tears several time. A must see in DC.

1  Thank Ustravelgirl13
Reviewed October 11, 2012

this museum is interesting and interactive. our whole family enjoyed it. The Berlin Wall and Katrina exhibits are particularly moving and informative.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had a few hours to wander D.C., and stumbled upon this place on my way out of the art museum across the street. I was first turned off by the relatively high ticket fee (since the other museums are free). But, I noticed that I got around seven dollars off with my student ID, and decided to check it out. Boy, am I glad I did!

I had never heard about this place before, and knew absolutely nothing about it. At first I wandered a little aimlessly into the Pullitzer Photos exhibit. But, hit my stride on the second floor. I worked my way up, and went to the Concourse level last. According to the guide, you're supposed to start there and work your way up. I don't regret not doing this, but wish I would have taken the time to read that beforehand, since it might have given a more fluid story to the things I was seeing.

But, I highly enjoyed my wandering, I saw every exhibit (spent three hours), and loved all the interactive. This is the place for families. I've been to all the Smithsonians and the Spy museum in D.C., and I know kids can get a little bored when they're forced to just look at things behind glass for hours on end. Even the Spy museum wasn't as interactive as the Newseum (and to be honest, I saw pretty much the gist of the spy museum in the Newseum exihibits, especially the FBI one). There is some little interactive game or thing to play with in all the exhibits. The 4-D movie is fun, educational, and not too long. The journalist memorial and 9/11 sections are very well-done, and tasteful. They really draw in the visitors in this museum, it's almost like a group effort. In the FBI exhibit, there's a terroism display, and it's bookended by tissue holders, for guests that may get emotional looking at these artifacts. I thought this was a very thoughtful and classy touch, and unlike what I've seen at other museums.

There's a cool patio on the top floor with great views of Pennsylvania Ave and the Capital Building. Great photo ops.

The workers are all very friendly, and seemed to love working there. They were more than happy to take my picture by exhibits for me (I was alone), and on some floors, I had workers volunteering to take my picture for me. One even fetched me a foam microphone for me to hold. They were very friendly, and since all I had was a cellphone camera, happily volunteered to reshoot things that were blurry or too dark. They were so nice, and made me feel very welcome.

I am a 22 yr old female who is relatively interested in the media (I was originally a journalism major). So, I of course enjoyed myself. But, there was also a school group of 8th graders visiting while I was there, who seemed to be having the time of their lives.

There's a large glass elevator that's fun to ride in. They really take something that a lot of younger people see as boring (the news) and really make it hands-on, educational, fun, and it really shows how much the media effects us.

I was continually shocked by the things they had gotten their hands on. They really have a lot of cool stuff. The Berlin Wall and watchtower especially.

The tickets give you two days, and really, you would need that! Even though I saw everything, I could have spent a lot more time at everything, and a lot of things I just skimmed the surface of. Also, like I said, I was alone, so moved more quickly than a group might.

In summary, it was an absolutely awesome museum. I travel a lot, and am bit of a museum junkie, and this place just blew me away! It was a whole lot of fun. If I'm ever in DC again, I'm going back!

It was relatively quiet when I went in October. So, I had lots of time with the exhibits, got to really look at everything, and it was wonderful.

I can not compliment the staff enough, either. They are so friendly! They would see me looking at something and happily tell me what they knew about it, and strike up conversations with me. They didn't seem like workers, but more like they were proud of this collection and so excited to share it.

It's a very neat building, and the floors just kind of breeze together. The stairs are the shortest way to get from place to place, but for the stroller/wheelchair gang there are very quick and nice elevators. They are also roomy. The day before, I had struggled with my family to get a double stroller and wheelchair into the Smithsonian's elevators, and noticed that I could have done it with ease in these.

I would recommend this for people with older, school aged kids, who want to give them one "fun" museum on top of all the educational ones. This is a fun one, and will enthuse even the biggest museum haters in your group. This one is still highly informative, and adults will enjoy it a whole lot, too. It's a very interesting place, and I can not recommend it enough.

2  Thank Sarah H

Been to Newseum? Share your experiences!