“Absolutely Outstanding!!!”

Admission to Washington DC Newseum
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Find out for yourself why everyone is calling the Newseum the best experience Washington, D.C. has to offer. Each of the seven levels in this magnificent building is packed with interactive exhibits that explore free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment: religion, speech, press, assembly and petition. Whether you have just a few hours or want to spend all day, you'll find something for everyone in the family in the Newseum's 15 theaters and 15 galleries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New Jersey
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Absolutely Outstanding!!!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've been to a lot of museums around the world (Louvre, Guggenheim in Venice, etc) and I think the Newseum has to be my favorite one of all (of course those listed are art museums, but you get the idea). I first came to the Newseum as a little kid just after it opened in Virginia. Now it has dramatically expanded and moved to a stunning building on Pennsylvania Ave with a perfect view of the Capitol.

This one's good for all ages. It's got loads of interactive stuff to please the little ones and enough in-depth information and critically-focused exhibits to interest even a seasoned vet of news and journalism. Yes, the tickets are pricey ($17 for students and $20 for general or so last time I checked) but they're valid for 2 days and are SO worth it. I really recommend going about 3 hours one day (at least that's when my brain can't digest any more, though I'd love to) and 3 hours the next. I've been lucky enough to get comp tickets from a friend a few times and have spent at least 6 hours there and still feel like I missed so much.

My favorite exhibits are the Pulitzer Prize photo gallery and the 9/11 Memorial. Be prepared to be moved though--this is obvious for the 9/11 Memorial, but the Pulitzer Prize photos portray some rather excruciating scenes as well (think all the famous Vietnam War photos).

In sum: DO IT DO IT DO IT! You will NOT regret going. I'd make this my first stop in DC if I were here for a tourist trip.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Norwich, Vermont
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“The Newseum is a must - totally engaging with a wealth of material.”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When I lived in WDC I'd never visited the Newseum - thinking it a bit flashy. Finally on this return trip to the city I listened to friends. I was first captivated by the Berlin Wall exhibit - especially the photos and video of East Germans digging a tunnel to freedom and the huge graffiti covered sections of the actual wall. Then I headed for the Pulitzer Prize Photos - I loved going year by year on the panels that provided text and context for each photo (going back to the start of the prize about 1946), but most engaging were the interactive screens that often provided videos of the photographers explaining the situation and experience of their photos. The next day I went to history news, with original front pages, the earliest from the 1600s. I valued the originals but found them difficult to read - so I used the good size digital screens to bring up each one and relive history. I got through WWII, when I needed to join friends. Oh, and the Saturday Night Live spoof of Sarah Palin from the 2008 campaign was hilarious. So I'm sold! The ticket seemed a bit pricey at about $20 - but I was told I could return and use it for a second day, which I did with no problem. It was a bargain for the experience I had. Oh, and kids are free with an adult through Sept. 3, 2012.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fun for All Ages”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We visited the Newseum late afternoon and spent a very interesting couple of hours. Tops on our list were the sports history theatre, the collection of newspaper front pages, and the 4D movie. Definitely worth the time on a trip to DC. Plus kids are free all summer long.

Ohio
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A fantastic tribute to journalism.”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've walked by this museum many times, but haven't visited because I couldn't see the point in paying for admission to this type of museum in a town filled with free museums and attractions. At the advice of some friends, I visited the Newseum while in DC for a conference and I'm glad I did. This museum tells the history of journalism from way back to modern day through newspaper headlines and a lot of very interesting memorabilia including pieces of the Berlin Wall, the TV tower from the World Trade Center, and the Unibomber's cabin.

Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“very interactive and informative”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Admission was a little expensive but found it to be worth it. Much less crowded than some of the other DC attractions. Organized very well. Think of this as a Modern US History museum. Interesting to look back at events that have happened in your lifetime. Very interactive.

Visited July 2012

Been to Newseum? Share your experiences!