“Wow”

and up
Seaplane Tour from Friday Harbor
Ranked #416 of 2,624 things to do in Washington
More attraction details
Owner description: Glaciers, crevasses and snowy pinnacles make this area a challenge for skiers.
Harlingen, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The views from the top are stunning. The drive up is also very scenic. It was well worth the trip plenty of hiking trails. Make sure you bring a big enough SD card because you will need it.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank kaydog37

• Korean first
Bellevue, Washington
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Perfect (but long) day trip from Seattle”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We chose a lovely weekday in September to avoid the traffic. However, there was considerable roadwork being done on the Mt. Baker Scenic Byway and we had to wait 15 minutes at one point, having just missed the pilot car going down the mountain. I had been to Mt. Baker once before and had forgotten how lovely it is and how many options there are for hiking or walking near the top. You can stroll around for a few minutes, or hike for hours. Some trails are paved.

The view was stunning. A few steps from the Artist's Point parking lot, you can see more than 270 degrees around. We almost didn't see the pay station in the corner of the parking lot where you need to pay a $5.00 fee for the day.

We had to use the restrooms, and the facilities at the parking lot were really foul-smelling outhouses, almost out of toilet paper and completely out of hand sanitizer. Just after we used it, a park employee arrived to do some maintenance, but I doubt that would do much about the smell.

A short way down the mountain, we stopped at Picture Lake. Our plans for a leisurely stroll were cut short by some very aggressive insects. We ended up running back to our car with horseflies attacking mercilessly. (No one else there seemed bothered, so I'm chalking it up to some new shampoo my husband and I had both tried.)

We also stopped at about mile 46 to see the Nooksak Falls, just off the byway. I've never been so scared by a sign in my life. The sign there gives a warning about 7 different ways regarding getting too close to the edge and lists the names of the many people that have died there slipping off the rocks. Now there is a heavy-duty chain link fence that would require a lot of determination to cross, so no need to fear as long as you don't get any crazy ideas. It's well worth a brief side-trip. Lovely falls where 2 forks of the river meet and continue down a deep gorge.

We probably spent about 8 or so hours just driving, so next time we might try one of the Bed and Breakfasts we saw along the Mt. Baker Scenic Byway and take more time exploring/hiking around at the top, making it a two-day trip.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Susan A
TORONTO
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Insane amounts of snow and very diverse terrain.”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

After 8 days touring b.c. with no powder days we hit Baker. I went 2 years back but coudn't select '09. At the time lift tickets were like $30 and the snow was insane. Lots of terrain options and even more back country if you are prepared (state troopers check your gear and avalanche training card as you leave resort). Tonnes of range from terrifying double blacks to easy blues but I couldn't really see the runs as everything was snowed over. Most runs were knee deep and in the trees was waste deep. Just be aware of tree wells and the risks. Probably my favorite resort other than RED Mountain. Sorry no pics because there was too much fresh powder to shred.

Visited November 2010
1 Thank toofinn
Seattle, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Mount Baker: Hiking at Artist's Point”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Mount Baker has amazing hiking in summer, especially from Artist's Point. At more than 5,000 feet above sea level, this area is typically buried under snow and closed October through June (WSDOT). On clear days, visitors are treated to 360-degree views of Mount Shuksan and Mount Baker.

From the parking lot, trails are easy to access and range in difficulty from easy to challenging. The convenient accessibility means more crowds so get there early (no later than 10 a.m.) or start later in the afternoon.

On our trip, we hiked the 6-mile Chain Lakes trail. Trail conditions vary and the weather can be unpredictable so come prepared. There's still a lot of snow, even in late August. There's also a lot of loose rock so good shoes are essential - leave the tennis shoes in the car and bring your boots instead.

After a day of hiking, chow down at Il Caffee Rifugio in Deming (on the Mt. Baker Hwy). With its modernist décor and large paintings, Rifugio feels more like an art gallery than roadside diner. The owner, who worked in the airline industry before opening the restaurant, made the tables out of recycled wood and rebar. The menu is just as creative as his carpentry. Marinated lamb on baguette, blue cheese burgers and ravioli with curry and sweet potato are some of the inventive dishes offered on Rifugio’s menu. Finish off your meal with espresso or strong coffee served in a French Press. Wine and beer are also available. If you want a variation of something, the owner will happily oblige. They've got a Web site so check them out before you go.

<b>To get there:</b>
Artist Point is located at the very end of Mount Baker Highway, State Route 542. The road winds for 2.7 miles before ending at the parking lot.

Visited July 2010
19 Thank Ericka98125
Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Forget Whistler, Mt Baker is the place to be!”
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Being from UT I expected aweful, slushy, wet snow conditions in WA. I sure was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. I spent a day at Whistler in Canada (buy cheap tickets at 7-11's in Vancouver) and was surprisingly disappointed. Since Mt. Baker is a private resort, there are no discount tickets sold at local ski shops or supermarkets.

I enjoyed the snow at Baker so much I left Canada early to go back and play. They are claimed to have the most snowfall in N. America. Was it wet and difficult to ride on? Absolutely not. I made powder lines all day.

The liftees were all pleasant, Most of the riders were locals and more than happy to share their favorite runs with us tourists.

Next time I will stay in a bed and breakfast closer to the resort instead of 1.5 hrs away.

7 Thank lost_travelers