“Excellent Time Snow Tubing!!”

Massanutten Mountain
Ranked #872 of 2,564 things to do in Virginia
More attraction details
Owner description: A mountain in the Massanutten Range noted for winter skiing, hiking and mountain biking.
Reviewed January 21, 2018

Took my 11 year old son snow tubing. Right from the get-go we were impressed by how pleasant, enthusiastic and knowledgable the staff were. From the ticket counter, to the magic carpet operator to the attendants at the top of the slopes who were ALWAYS happy to give my son a push off or a spin! We got tons of rides in and in fact, ended up leaving sooner than our two hour allotted time as we were beat! I had been wanting to snow tube for a long time and I was not disappointed.

1  Thank DJKB
"quad"
"operator"
"woods"

Reviewed January 14, 2018 via mobile

The snow tubing itself was really good. Fast and actually pretty smooth. Problem is they oversell tickets. We had 2 to 4 pm session which started out only 5 to 6 deep in each line. At 3 pm they let a huge group start. The 5 deep per line is now 15 to 20 deep. So in that hour only was able to go down 3 times. Poor management.

2  Thank K J
Reviewed January 5, 2018

Yankees beware! This is not Vermont...let alone Colorado or anywhere out west. These mountains have ski resorts, but they are smaller, shorter, and have a shorter season. But when you live in North Carolina and don't want to buy airline tickets to go skiing, there's Massanutten. The good news is that the snowmaking and grooming are first rate. There are no high-speed lifts, just the old-school triples and quads, but we didn't encounter any major lift lines, even at Christmas week. The most crowded was the beginner lift #3, but that was only about a 5-minute wait, and then you can stay on the #5, which goes to the summit (with a mid-station for the less adventurous), with no lift line. Overall, the intermediate trails are pretty easy. There's a two-part terrain park for those who want to do tricks, but no half-pipe that I could see. This is an alternative to the Carolina Appalachians, with a larger resort presence.

1  Thank c5mjb
Reviewed December 24, 2017

Ok for a cheaper weekend get away from eastern or southern virginia. Come after Christmas for better snow coverage and more slope openings. Not bad pricing for a small condo rental and ski lift tickets. Night skiing after 4:00 a plus. Unfortunately, it was not posted that the night season skiing started the weekend after we booked. If traveling more than 2 hours, look at other larger resorts with more amenities and more snow.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 14, 2017

We only go here because it the closest to us. I wouldn't recommend traveling far to get here.
There is a winding, Mountain road to get there...if you're not comfortable with twists and narrow roads, don't go.
There really isn't much signs for the general public to let you know exactly where to turn, how to park, where to find your tickets and rentals etc. I navigated based on prior memories, but none of the workers ever assisted me. I wasn't asked if I had been here before, if I needed anything or to know where to go. I didn't get a map of the slopes...really felt lost most of the day. The rental area is poorly run by bored, high school and college aged people who acted like they had somewhere better to be. I'm sure they need the paycheck, though...so why not enjoy the work experience and make a pleasant one for visitors???
The chair lift operator was rude, too. He barked orders at us, as though were doing something unsafe or unruly. But it was just because he felt the need to scream. He was operating the Green lift, #4 and was a plump, older gentleman. I don't recall being screamed at by any lift operators before, so this was an unpleasant, and surprising experience. When we got to the top, my kid fell getting off the chair and they never slowed it down! There wasn't people directly behind us, but my goodness...it's an every man for himself, I guess.
The lodge food was cold, it was dry, it was overpriced. 1 nacho, 1 hamburger, 1 bottle water= $18. Had it been delicious, hot, food that warms you up...I could have accepted it as typically overpriced, lodge fare. The fact that the cheese on the nachos was evidently ice cold...and the burger was so dry, I nearly choked...just made it a regretful decision for coming in. We had sandwiches in the car, I was trying to provide a hot meal! The customer service in here wasn't much better, no "thank you", no "enjoy your day."
I really hope Massanutten will train their employees to be more welcoming, friendly to everyone, courteous and helpful. Help someone who is lost! Don't just let them wander around over and over....
It would also be great if ski patrol could make sure people are in control more, coming from the diamond hill that shoots out onto the #4 beginner hill. There are kids learning on that hill and if someone can't steer properly, they need to slow down or stay on the blues and diamonds.