“Beautiful Place - but beware if you go with an RV to this campground!”

Woodford State Park
Ranked #257 of 712 things to do in Vermont
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beautiful Place - but beware if you go with an RV to this campground!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This past labor day weekend my family and sister's family went to camp here for the first time. We had booked some time ago and were very careful about what sites we chose. We have a 38' RV and there were sites available for RVs over 34'. So we chose one of these by the water and forgot about it. We have been to other VT state parks and never had an issue. About a week before our visit, I double checked to make sure there weren't any limitations noted for RVs because some times state parks are tight. Nothing noted. I even watched videos on YouTube from this park - nothing of concern. So off we went for our weekend. When we arrived at 8:15 p.m. there was no staff around. So we followed the directions and went toward the site. We had disconnected our tow vehicle from the motorhome and I was leading in this vehicle. I found our loop and turned in and it immediately went down and I was a bit concerned because it was going to be tight and was hoping my husband would wait. Now it was dark too. No such luck as my husband followed and came down to the site VERY SLOWLY. There were so many over hanging branches they got caught on the side of the motorhome and scratched all the way up from 2/3 to the top. Mainly surface scratches we hope in the top coat which will hopefully buff out.
The site itself was very clear and very open and yes it fit the RV with no problem as stated on the website. The problem is the road to the site - the trees haven't been trimmed back in a while. I did tell the staff about this and they were very nice and apologized. I told them they should either trim back or note this on the website. They said triming is something they are working on. It isn't just motorhomes that will have an issue. Towables and 5th wheels same issue. Additionally the roads out in this area all have a 24,000 lb legal limit which I believe we exceeded as well. This should be noted on their site too. So call ahead.
The park itself is a very nice spot and highly recommend it if you are in a tent or a pop-up. My sister has a pop-up towing with a van. The road was tight for them too but they were much more easily able to get to their site.
The campground is at 2500 feet in elevation! The reservoir is great for swimming and kayaking and probably fishing (we didn't fish but saw other folks who did). If you have a water site you may be able to put your kayaks in right from that point. That was very nice.
The rangers do enforce the quiet time which is nice because we had a very large and loud group next to us. It is a very quiet park in general.
We would love to go back but don't know if we will due to the narrow roads. We found a couple of sites that may be more accessible to us so we'll see. Enjoy:-)

Visited September 2012
5 Thank Karting4fun

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Peaceful with friendly staff”
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night, the park staff were very friendly and helpful. They alerted us that a thunderstorm was coming through which helped us choose a lean-to instead of regular tent site. We were warm and dry all night. The trail around the lake is 2.7 miles-- the park is a good place or a run. Showers/bathrooms were kept up well (50 cents for 5 min, with hot water) and overall our experience was wonderful!

4 Thank jennbitt34
Bennington, Vermont, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A great camping and canoeing experience”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Woodford is a great place to camp in a tent or a small trailer, RV or pop-up. It is quiet. The sites are spaced nicely and each site feels like it is in the woods. You don't feel crowded. The lake (or reservoir) is beautiful and many enjoy canoeing, kayaking and fishing. The campers' and day users' beaches are small but kids seem to enjoy them. There is a grassy lawn more appropriate for "laying out". Day users have picnics in this area. There is an easy hiking path around the lake which is very pretty. There are nice clean bathrooms, and water faucetts are easily accesible. There are a few playgrounds around the campsite. The staff is very friendly, helpful and goes out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The wood was a bit wet when we were there, we did have to buy kiln dried wood at the nearby camp store outside the park.
I reccomend this park to couples and families who are looking for a primitive-feel experience rather than a large community-like RV experience with activities. I live nearby and will return again, more than once.

Visited June 2012
7 Thank Sherri O
Redding, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A beautiful, serene park”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Located near Bennington, this lovely park includes a beautiful resevoir. Several lean-to shelters, and leafy campsites beckon. The hike around the water is about 2.7 miles. The young ranger was very nice and helpful. We'll surely return!

Visited September 2011