“Beautiful rock formations”

Ranked #49 of 1,148 things to do in Utah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A short drive, small but 'must see' beautiful park just outside of Zion. We went there instead of Zion to avoid the crowds & we sure did. We hiked for 2 days and didn't see a soul on the hikes. It was beautiful and the colors of the rocks and the wild flowers/ cactus was very special. A great place to watch the sun set.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Snow Canyon State Park for me embodies the best of the red rock vistas that southern Utah has in abundance. Only a 5 minute drive from our hotel in St. George, we liked Snow Canyon so much we visited twice!

On both occasions there were only a handful of people there - not crowded like Zion or some of the other sites. I lost count of how many pictures I took of the gorgeous undulating red rock, the red sand dunes, and the fluffy grasses and cacti dotting the landscape. I am not a strong hiker, and was 5 months pregnant on this trip, yet I had no problem navigating the trails and climbing the petrified rocks. Plus, my friend and I were pleasantly surprised that all of the state and national parks we visited had well maintained trails and immaculate bathrooms.

1  Thank Lindsay H
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This park, just outside St. George, is a showcase of majestic mountains with a range of colors to showcase. It offers some great scenic backgrounds for photographing, and is less visited than other parks nearby. I went only briefly, but a longer trip is something I hope for in the future. I think this would be an ideal place for afternoon or weekend of hiking and enjoying the view.

1  Thank Douglas F
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I planned a 11 day trip to Utah to hit all the national parks. I saw this park during my planning and couldn't decide if I wanted to stop or not based on our schedule. Finally I saw enough reviews to convince me to stop in on our first day (day we flew in to Vegas). I'm glad we did because it was really nice and small enough to fit in an afternoon. By the time we landed around 1 and got our rental car and drove to the park it was around 4 or 5. I wish we had more time say half a day or so. The sunset was really nice to see however. Even if you've only got a couple hours like we did I suggest stopping in. It only takes maybe 10 minutes to drive through. There are plenty of hikes to keep you busy all day if you wanted but we hit the Sand dunes and made a loop. Also one thing I notice was looking at pictures and maps (google earth too) the park seemed a lot bigger then it was. I didn't realize so many different landscapes could be crammed in such a small park. So as you look at pictures don't over think the size of the park. You can literally stand in one spot and pretty much look across the park. But don't think its not worth seeing because its small. Its more like the perfect size for a short trip. I highly recommend this place.

1  Thank Nate1236
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We took the 3.5 mile hike to Three Ponds and Hidden Pinyons trailheads on May 6, which is when the desert cactus and other flowers are showing blooms of purple, pink, gold, orange, yellow and white. The rocks are magnificent sculptures that nature created millions of years ago. I was able to climb the large boulders without much experience, but I am a fit 63 yr. old and was slow and cautious. It is not for those not used to rock scrambling. The mile walk in sand is slow going, but allows you plenty of time to view trees, plants and hear bird calls in a very pristine environment. I will return again in spring or fall. This area is very
hot in summer.