“Most beautiful park we've ever been to!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Garner State Park

Garner State Park
Ranked #359 of 3,915 things to do in Texas
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most beautiful park we've ever been to!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I went there years ago (long overdue!) and are planning a return trip soon. It's absolutely gorgeous.. We took many pics on that trip and I'm going to try and upload them on here. The river is pristine and soooo beautiful.. and very COLD! lol I'm sure it's especially enjoyable in the summer if you want to cool off.. we went in the winter/fall. I would highly recommend it to any and everyone looking for an enjoyable park that is not only pretty and clean but have very nice showering/restroom facilities that are clean and attractive. There was nothing dirty or shabby about this park. Had to list our visit as March 2013, as it won't allow me to go that far back! lol We visited during the chilly months sometime in 2010.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Julie M

Brownsville, Texas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Garner in December”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I can see why Garner SP is so popular. It is a beautiful park. I visited the in December when the temperature was 49 degrees. It drizzling for most of the three days. However, I was able to sneak in some hiking and mountain biking. The trails were somewhat challenging but doable. The views of the park from atop of Old Baldy were very good. The only thing I saw wrong with this park was the amount of graffiti on several rocks along some hikes. Unfortunately, that is the drawback of being a popular family park. Overall, it was a great experience. Just remember that Garner is a family park and campsites are VERY close to each other.

Austin, Texas
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Lots To Offer in the Scenic Frio Canyon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We chose to escape the stress of Thanksgiving entertaining, Black Friday, college football on TV, etc. and for the first time decided to spend the holiday week in the great outdoors. We rented a campsite for three nights in the Rio Frio section of the park (one outfitted with both water and electrical connections). Three couples shared two campsites (two in tents and one in a pop-up camper), and the space was more than adequate for six adults and three pick-ups. The sites in that part of the park are less cramped and congested than in the older, more established parts of Garner. We had no idea how busy with campers the park was until we drove around the third day to explore. In the areas near the pavilion and paddle boats, there were LOTS of families with children; the campsites offered much less space between sites to the point where it seemed they were right on top of each other. The park ranger warned us at check-in that if we were seeking peace and quiet then Garner was not the place for us, but we definitely found it in the Rio Frio camping area. For those erecting tents, the ground was very level and spacious. Some campsites have more tree cover than others, but since we were there in November we didn't require shade from the sun. We even managed to cook the full spread on Thanksgiving over the camp stove, fire pit, and turkey frier. It may have been my favorite Thanksgiving meal of all time. My only complaint is that the water supply at the campsite was awful. At different times of day, the water was clear. But most of the time it had a foul odor and was deeply rust colored. We were afraid to use it for washing/rinsing dishes (but we did) even after we boiled it. The water in the bath house adjacent to our campsite was fine (and hot water in the showers that never ran out!), so it must be coming from a different source. But I'd definitely camp here again; we've already staked out campsites we want next time. We had campsites 486 & 484, and they were never more than a five-minute walk to the river. However, if you don't mind the noise and children, you might prefer to camp closer to the main attractions within the park. The fall colors were beautiful this time of year. Sleeping was very cold the first two nights, but one couple brought and electric blanket and a 100-ft. extension cord for their tent. I highly recommend that to tent campers in winter in our highly volatile Texas weather.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank bohemian81
Bainbridge Island, Washington
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“The River is Gorgeous but don't forget about the hiking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

You rarely find strenuous hiking trails with a lot of elevation gain in Texas. So when you want to train for rocky steep terrain, Garner State Park fits the bill. The trails are short but steep and very rocky. Take Birds trail up the side of the mountain, or Bridges trail to Painted Rock for great views. You are climbing up one side of a steep hill only to descend the other side to the valley and then head back. There are enough trails to keep you occupied for a good 4 hour hike, and we ran into a couple of geocache'ers if that is your thing. At the end of the day for an easy hike out, take the old entrance (basically a road) for a leisurely stroll.

Visited November 2013
Katy, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hiking is not for the faint of heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

We visited for the 1st time on a Sunday in October, just for the day, and loved the peace & quiet. We hiked (perhaps "climbed" is a better word) to Crystal Cave for spectacular views however, the trail head signs don't quite convey just how hard a climb it is. I was expecting dirt trails and found rocks instead. On the way down the mountain, we were butt scooting because that's the only safe way to do it. Reasonably fit adults and teens should definitely make the trek but it is NOT suitable for pre-schoolers or couch potatoes... especially not in the summer heat. Stick with the river and mini golf. I'm looking forward to going back, now that we know what to expect.

Visited October 2013