“Enjoyable, easy hike, but crowded”
Review of Harney Peak

Ranked #50 of 490 things to do in South Dakota
More attraction details
Owner description: At over 7,200 feet, this is the Black Hills tallest mountain.
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Harney Peak is an easy hike that offers unparalleled views from the fire tower at the peak. The trails follow pine forests that rise up with views of the summit and rocky features in the region.

The trail is wide and not strenuous, and one side departs from a popular family campground. As a result, the trails are crowded and are frequented by families. Best to do this hike in the offseason.

2  Thank moabhikers

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I've hiked this one several times and each time it feels like a new experience. Starting from Sylvan Lake it can be done in 1 hr 14 min putting some effort into it. I saw plenty of families with kids making the hike so it's not super strenuous. Bring water, plan on 3 to 5 hours per trip, and bring rain gear, the weather can change fairly fast. During my last hike it went from cloudy to hail.

3  Thank Michael R
Reviewed June 13, 2012

If you are in South Dakota - this is a must!! My husband and I hiked to Harney Peak 11 years ago, and this year decided to do it with our two girls - one 6 and one 9 - what a bonding experience! The hike is a little strenuous but the views from the top make it all worth while - what an accomplishment! If you have the time and are willing -- this is a must see!

2  Thank TongieSteph
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Awesome hike. I'm not a hard core climber or anything, but I do enjoy hiking and have done some hikes in Colorado, Utah - Zion, California - Yosemite, Montana - Glacier and a few other places - and I loved this as much as any other hike I have done.

The view at the top was amazing with the added benefit of the old historic building. It was just cool to be up there looking around and taking pictures. There are plenty of great lunch and snack places at the top.

I did take my wife, who is not an avid hiker and had to be motivated to try it with me. It was harder than I thought it would be, and she was a little bitter until she got to the top. Depends on your fitness level, but be prepared for a strenuous hike so that it won't take you off guard. But it's absolutely doable. Saw people of all fitness levels and age at top. Just bring enough water and definitely some good snacks for the top! And no, there are no bathrooms.

We parked at Sylvan Lake - took #4 trail up and #9 back - which was perfect. Why take the same trail up and down - get a different view and then enjoy the lake after your hike.

2  Thank ICNiT
Reviewed July 27, 2011

WOW, such a great hike! We hiked the Harney Peak Trail #9 (which brings you to the highest point in SD ~ it also happens to be the highest point between the Rockies & Europe!)
It was a very nice hike with great views. The trail is very well marked. I think round trip (taking lots of pictures & hanging out at the top for a while) it took us around 4.5 hours.

6  Thank BrussoDallas