“Appalachian Trail White Blaze Trail near Bushkill, PA” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Appalachian Trail

Philadelphia, PA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Appalachian Trail White Blaze Trail near Bushkill, PA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

This is a "beginner trail" and I'm definitely a beginner---this was a great trail! I'm not in the best shape either but it was fairly challenging to me, my husband & our in-shape 14 year old daughter on Memorial Day weekend with high-70 degree temps and fairly high humidity. The parking lot at the bottom is small so get there early. The trail starts with the beautiful little Lenape Lake. From there the trail spilts---to the left is the White Blaze Trail (narrower at that area) & to the right is a fire access road which is very wide and paved a little at the start. I would recommend what we did: take the White Blaze Trail on the way UP and the fire access road on the way DOWN. You'll save your knees! This trail is 2 miles long but 700 feet of elevation---so basically like walking up a giant staircase for 2 miles. At the top of the trail, you will again intersect the fire access road and you can start your passage down. Wear proper clothing and foot gear---we saw some people heading up in jeans---big mistake! Bug spray and cold water are also must-haves! I would take a camel-back for a beverage so both hands are always free. I'm not graceful but I slipped a few times on rocky ground. Total time was 3 hours or so. We were in no hurry and I had to stop a few times for 3 or 4 minute breaks. It's a great work-out with tremendous screnery---we loved it!

Visited May 2011
3 Thank phillygirl400

Northampton, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Smith Gap to Wind Gap, PA - Rocksylvania Here I Come”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

Casual day-hikers be forewarned: The rocks on this 8 mile stretch of the AT are determined to harm you. I'm no self proclaimed super hiker but I've hiked a lot of day trips in PA and I can't remember rocks like this anywhere else in the state. They jut from the trail like they have purposefully placed themselves to claim as many ankles as possible. Through hikers I met said northern PA and parts of NJ were the rockiest they'd encountered along the AT. Vistas: Eh, a couple but nothing breathtaking. If you really want to enjoy walk in the woods, this may not be for you. If you're the masochistic type, drive up the gravel road to Smith Gap trail head and start there. You'll mercifully descend into Wind Gap at Route 33. I was very glad to have avoided climbing that to start my day.

Through Hikers: God bless you.

4 Thank Tophoney4