“Walk through an old growth forest”

Allegheny National Forest
Ranked #730 of 2,680 things to do in Pennsylvania
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in northwestern Pennsylvania, this forest has over 500,000-acres, is easily accessable and offers plenty of recreational activities.
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Walk through an old growth forest”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Hearts Content Scenic Area has a 1.1 mile loop trail through old growth forest. It was amazing to see the magnificent, towering, hemlocks and pines. The trail meanders through a dense forest over a small stream. It is maintained as far as downed trees are cut so as not to block the trail. The trail is NOT marked except for a small sign directing you to the short trail or the long trail. We took the long trail but came to a spot where we weren't sure which branch to take and there were a few spots where it wasn't clear just where the trail was. They should definitely put in trail blazes or in some way better mark the trail. In spite of a few concerns about whether or not we were on the right path it was an enjoyable, fairly level hike. There is a small picnic area, restroom (vault type) and interpretive display next to the parking lot.

Visited April 2012
10 Thank gardener19464

America
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Beautiful area. Good hikes Good memories”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Went to Alleghenies almost on a lark.
For some unknown reason I wasn't expecting much. Boy, was I pleasantly suprised. I had several memorable hikes. Saw a bald eagle sitting alongside a dirt road I was on. It took off as I approached. VERY COOL!! Awesome bird. First time I ever saw a bald eagle.
That was just one of the memorable hikes. I had several more that I'll never forget. Beautiful area.
I hope to return one day.

Visited October 2010
3 Thank KingFlathead
buffalo, ny
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Vibrant, verdant good vibes!”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

What a beautiful, well kept, instructive area. Terrific info buildings, delightful volunteer guides...beautiful place to walk, hike, bike..grab a picnic lunch...cannot wait.to.get back, so lovely.

2 Thank Maui2soon
Mansfield, PA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Beautiful Scenery”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My husband and I camped at the Dewdrop Campground in the ANF on the Allegheny Reservoir in mid-July. Campsite was an easy walk to the water but in the woods where it was nice and cool on such a hot weekend. The campsites were well spaced and although the campground seemed pretty full it didn't feel crowded. Our main purpose of the trip was kayaking but, we sooned discovered the lake is too big and full of powerboats to really enjoy paddling unless you go very early before the power boaters start. The dam is worth seeing and there are many beautiful views from several overlooks. The campground is a little tired looking, restroom and showers weren't very clean or well kept and the sites show the wear and tear of people who don't understand the "Leave No Trace" concept. I was appalled to see all the tree damage around our site in, hello, A NATIONAL FOREST!

Visited July 2011
5 Thank TACBAC
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Kinzua Dam and Allegheny Reservoir”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

The Family and I went fishing\boating this weekend. We had the whole lake to ourselves. it was like we where in the middle of Alaska. The Northern Pike where all over the lake and hungry. We stayed at camp not very far away, but there are hotels close by and come Memorial day the camp grounds open for rent. If your looking for a place to boat or camp with no one else around this is your place. It's only crowded on July 4th and other major holidays. Kane Pa is abut 10 miles away and has everything you need including a hospital.

Visited May 2011